NEW YORK, July 26, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Some believe a few negative online reviews have the power to ruin an entire business – but according to Trustpilot, the leading review community for online shoppers, there's just no truth to this. Negative online reviews should be looked at as an opportunity that allows businesses the ability to shine - giving them the chance to show transparency, address any issues, and make measurable, open improvements in a timely and appropriate manner.
Addressing the Issues
As the majority of consumers (90%) say buying decisions are influenced by online reviews*, Trustpilot has identified best practices for addressing and responding to these criticisms.
- Always apologize and never shame a critic for their opinion
- Face up to negative review and address customer concerns directly
- Keep the response positive, personal and professional
- Deal with the criticism quickly and openly
- Give the customer a forum for follow-up
- Once the situation is resolved, ask the customer to update their review
"More and more consumers are consulting online reviews before making a purchase online, so it's more important than ever to adopt a transparent customer process that allows business to listen and respond to feedback," said Fred Mather, General Manager of The Americas at Trustpilot. "By embracing online reviews – both good and bad, companies will able to build customer loyalty and advocacy online, ultimately leading to better revenue."
Benefiting from Reviews
Businesses that allow for online review and who take the time to respond to them, both good and bad, continue to see positive results, including:
- Increase in sales: displaying reviews creates customer confidence and increases conversion rates
- Boost in SEO: reviews provide unique, fresh and relevant user generated content while bringing the potential of thousands of new searchable keywords
- Stand out in organic search: adding reviews and a star rating to organic search results can improve click through rates by 30%**
For more information about Trustpilot, please visit https://www.trustpilot.com/.
Trustpilot is a global, online review community that builds trust and transparency between consumers and businesses. Currently boasting more than 19 million consumer reviews of 120,000 businesses, Trustpilot produces a TrustScore for businesses based on recent reviews. Trustpilot's community is live in 27 countries and more than 10,000 consumers sign up to Trustpilot everyday. The platform also helps businesses generate insights through customer review data analytics. This can be used to continuously improve business operations, increase customer satisfaction and drive innovation. By enabling businesses to engage directly with customers, Trustpilot aims to set new global standards in consumer to business dialog.
Trustpilot has customers in 65 countries and has developed strong positions in Denmark, Sweden, UK, France, Germany and the Netherlands, as well as the U.S. With offices in Copenhagen, London, New York, Berlin and Melbourne, Trustpilot's 500+ employees represent 40 different nationalities.