NEW YORK, Aug. 1, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- CeraVe®, America's fastest growing skincare brand, announced today 80 percent of Americans make at least one or more common mistakes when cleansing their face, according to a national survey examining consumers' overall awareness, common habits and general knowledge of ingredients related to facial cleansing. The results out today mark the start of National Cleanse Your Skin Week.
The Most Common Face Cleansing Behaviors Leave Room for Improvement
The survey, of 1,000 adult men and women in the United States, also revealed less than ideal face cleansing habits:
- 60 percent of consumers report they feel uninformed about proper skin cleansing methods.
- 52 percent of consumers (66 percent of men and nearly 40 percent of women) use bath wash or hand soap to cleanse their face, while more than one third only use water.
- More than half (54 percent) of men and women admit often skipping washing their face before bedtime.
- 43 percent of those with dry skin use hand or body soap to wash their face, while 55 percent use only water.
- Nearly 50 percent of those with oily skin use hand or body soap to wash their face, and a third only use water.
"The results of this study are troubling but really don't surprise me," explained Dendy Engelman, M.D., a leading NYC-based board-certified dermatologist. "Despite all of the information dedicated to face washing, many people still don't know how to do it correctly. The fact that the majority of men and women, especially those with dry or oily skin, use hand or body soap or just plain water to cleanse their face clearly underscores the need for continued education."
There is a Need for More Ingredient Education
The results also revealed those surveyed had a lack of understanding about facial cleanser ingredients.
- 65 percent have no idea what ingredients to look for when purchasing a facial cleanser, and 63 percent don't understand the purpose of those ingredients.
- Although 97 percent report they know their skin type, nearly 40 percent of those with dry skin identified benzoyl peroxide as the most essential ingredient for their facial cleanser
- Less than 10 percent of consumers had heard of the skin ingredients called ceramides.
- Of those who correctly identified the fact that ceramides restore moisture and strengthen the skin barrier, nearly half (48 percent) reported they were unsure if ceramides could be effective for those with dry skin.
"Know your skin type!" added Dr. Engelman. "I tell this to all of my patients who ask about the right facial cleanser to buy. It is especially critical for those with sensitive or dry skin or those diagnosed with eczema, all of who should steer away from cleansers containing high levels of benzoyl peroxide as this can dry and irritate skin. The critical skin care ingredients on my radar are ceramides, which are found naturally in our skin and help restore the skin's natural barrier to lock in moisture. Ceramides deplete over time, but most people have no idea their dry, irritated skin can be a symptom of ceramide loss. What I love about CeraVe is that it is the only line of cleansers developed with dermatologists to contain three of the vital ceramides needed to increase skin's moisture level and help keep it protected. Because there is a CeraVe cleanser designed to address every skin type, I always have something to offer my patients."
"We initiated this survey as part of our ongoing effort and commitment to educate consumers on how to improve their skin, beginning with a proper cleansing regimen," said John M. Reed, CeraVe general manager. "All of the CeraVe skincare products, including the cleansers, have been developed with a team of highly skilled dermatologists focused on creating formulations that restore the skin's protective barrier, which retains moisture and enhances the skin's overall look and feel."
National Cleanse Your Skin Week
Created by the makers of CeraVe, National Cleanse Your Skin Week was launched in August 2016 and is officially listed on the National Day Calendar with the sole mission of bringing heightened awareness to the importance of proper facial skin cleansing.
About the Survey
The CeraVe Skin Survey was conducted by Evaluative Criteria, Inc., a market research firm that develops custom solutions to answer specific business questions.
CeraVe was founded in 2005 and offers a range of advanced skincare products, specifically cleansers, moisturizers, sunscreens, healing ointments and a dedicated baby line. Developed with dermatologists, CeraVe is one of the fastest growing skincare brands in the U.S. CeraVe's multi-channel distribution strategy includes drug stores, mass and beauty retailers, and select online outlets including Amazon.com.
Join the cleansing conversation on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/CeraVe, and Twitter @ceraveskin. CeraVe products are available at drugstores nationwide. To learn more about ceramides and CeraVe products or for coupons, visit www.CeraVe.com
L'Oréal has devoted itself to beauty for over 105 years. With its unique international portfolio of 32 diverse and complementary brands, the Group generated sales amounting to 25.26 billion euros in 2015 and employs 82,900 people worldwide. As the world's leading beauty company, L'Oréal is present across all distribution networks: mass market, department stores, pharmacies and drugstores, hair salons, travel retail, branded retail and e-commerce. Research and innovation, and a dedicated research team of 3,870 people, are at the core of L'Oréal's strategy, working to meet beauty aspirations all over the world. L'Oréal's sustainability commitment for 2020 "Sharing Beauty With All" sets out ambitious sustainable development objectives across the Group's value chain. www.loreal.com
Alli Good – media contact, Rebel Gail - firstname.lastname@example.org, 212-675-8555
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/national-study-reveals-up-to-80-percent-of-americans-wash-their-face-incorrectly-300497371.html