MONTVALE, N.J., June 16 /PRNewswire/ -- The Network Branded Prepaid Card Association (NBPCA), a non-profit trade organization that works to enhance the environment for the success of network branded prepaid cards, is now entering its fifth membership year. The NBPCA has grown to become the leading organization bringing together responsible members of the prepaid industry to provide a fact-based voice to media, government and consumers, developing recommended best practices and promoting education to help consumers optimize their experience with network branded prepaid cards.
At the Association's annual Board meeting held June 8th, Jon Palmer, CEO of FSV Payment Systems, was elected the new Chairman of the Board. Palmer will assume the role July 1 and brings more than 35 years of experience in the electronic payments and financial services industries, having led several companies to significant growth and prominence including Vital Processing Services and Wellspring Resources. Also a highly regarded commercial banker, Palmer served as Vice Chairman with Fidelity Bank and also as Chief Retail Banking and Technology Executive of Barnett Banks.
"I am honored that my colleagues on the NBPCA Board have elected me to serve as chairman for the next year," said Palmer. "Under Gary Palmer's chairmanship last year the NBPCA made great strides in becoming a more effective voice for prepaid with legislators and regulators in Washington and in many states, as well as in the press. The organization also significantly helped NBPCA members succeed in this challenging economic, political, and regulatory environment. I plan to do my best to build on that great momentum."
The NBPCA Board of Directors for the upcoming year was elected by the Membership at a meeting on May 26th. Board Members include Anil Aggarwal, TxVia; Farhan Ahmad, Discover; Marilyn Bochicchio, Paybefore; Rod Boyer, TSYS; Todd Brockman, Galileo; Ralph Calvano, FIS; John Chaney, PreCash; Alpesh Chokshi, American Express; Brad Fauss, Springbok Services; John Hagy, Meta Bank; Jeff Johnson, First Data; David Josephs, JPMorgan Chase & Co.; Andrew Kese, Citi Prepaid; Jeremy Kuiper, The Bancorp Bank; Gary Palmer, NBPCA Founding Director; Rick Pileggi, US Bank; Scott Qualls, BB&T; Talbott Roche, Blackhawk Network; Skeet Rolling, InComm; Bill Salter, Capital One; Steve Streit, Green Dot Corp.; Michele Sullender, Simon Property Group and Carrie Vriheas, Visa.
NBPCA Officers re-elected by the Board included Kirsten Trusko, NBPCA President and Executive Director, Michelle Sullender, Secretary and Juli Spottiswood, Treasurer.
The NBPCA has met significant milestones in support of its mission over the past year, including:
- Educated a broader group of media about critical legislative issues affecting prepaid cards such as security and cross-border issues, the final gift cards rules and fees. These expanded efforts resulted in media coverage that increased more than 300 percent over the previous year.
- Developed relationships with more than a dozen third party groups as a new avenue to promote prepaid as a smart financial tool for consumers.
- Created five research surveys and four white papers to provide additional data and context to members of the media and lawmakers.
- Worked closely with key legislators and regulators on a host of policy issues including deposit taking, federal preemption, anti-money laundering and the CARD Act transition.
- Initiated grassroots initiatives to mobilize parties interested in prepaid issues on the Hill; the campaigns generated more than 2,000 letters.
- Welcomed 23 new members, growing total membership to 56.
"The NBPCA has grown into a respected guiding force in the prepaid card landscape, promoting an effective climate for network branded prepaid cards that encourages competition, access and a positive consumer experience," said Kirsten Trusko, NBPCA President and Executive Director. "As we grow into our fifth membership year we will continue to focus on influencing positive legislative and regulatory outcomes on issues critical to ensuring consumer access to prepaid, along with ensuring that fact-based information about prepaid circulates in the media and marketplace."
About the NBPCA
The Network Branded Prepaid Card Association (NBPCA) is a non-profit, inter-industry trade association that supports the growth and success of network branded prepaid debit cards and represents the common interests of the many players in this new and rapidly growing payments category. For additional information, visit www.NBPCA.org.
SOURCE Network Branded Prepaid Card Association