PHOENIX, April 20, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Honeywell Aerospace (NYSE: HON) has released version 1 of a new online weather service that will provide pilots with continuously updated, in-flight weather information. The Weather Information Service, which is delivered through a mobile app and tablet, will alert pilots to potentially hazardous weather along their flight path.
The app gives pilots a comprehensive, up-to-date view of weather along the planned route of flight, which makes it easier to plan for weather-related diversions. Currently, pilots are often referring to outdated printouts or occasional radio dispatches, some hours old, for weather information. The service can save time for pilots, reduce fuel costs for airlines, and increase safety and comfort for passengers.
Honeywell's Weather Information Service is simple and fast for pilots to use; it was designed by studying their tablet usage, habits and preferences. The app will be regularly updated to provide the latest features to pilots, and the next release will be available in late 2015. The service builds on the success of its current graphical weather product and will also complement the company's IntuVue 3-D Weather Radar.
"The impact of weather and turbulence on airlines and passengers is very significant. At Honeywell, we want to give pilots the early warning services they need to plan more efficient and safer flight paths around bad weather," said Michael Edmonds, vice president, Marketing and Product Management, Honeywell Aerospace. "Traditionally, pilots receive weather information at the start of their day and get updates through radio dispatch, which does not provide real-time information. With the new service, pilots can take advantage of an intuitive display of current weather information to best manage their flight path and get passengers to their destination safely and on time."
People are accustomed to having information at their fingertips with personal electronic devices, whether they are on the ground or in the air. Honeywell is placing more emphasis on the customer experience and support throughout all phases of a flight by offering services to ensure that anyone involved in flying has easy access to the information they need, when they need it, to enhance efficiency and safety.
Improved Weather Detection
Honeywell's Weather Information Service will greatly help pilots gain more awareness of their environment by providing up-to-date weather information throughout a flight. Current features include:
- Weather radar display shows potentially hazardous weather in a graphical format, localized spatially on a map, making it easy for pilots to understand and make critical in-flight routing decisions.
- Cumulonimbus cloud display allows pilots to get a vertical view of potential storm clouds. This lets them compare weather conditions at different altitudes, making routing safer and more efficient.
- Clear air turbulence prediction display clearly shows potential areas of greater turbulence, making flights safer and helping to reduce aircraft damage and maintenance.
- Satellite-derived cloud heights allow a more accurate look at the changing weather so pilots can avoid hazards.
- 3-D winds aloft show direction and speed of wind in an aircraft's flight path so pilots can choose the best possible route, helping to reduce fuel use and emissions.
- Read more about Honeywell Weather Information Service
- Read more about Honeywell Aerospace and on the Follow the Aero blog
- Like Honeywell Aerospace on Facebook
- Follow @Honeywell_Aero on Twitter
- Subscribe to Honeywell's Corporate RSS feed
Honeywell Aerospace products and services are found on virtually every commercial, defense and space aircraft, and its turbochargers are used by nearly every automaker and truck manufacturer around the world. The Aerospace business unit develops innovative solutions for more fuel-efficient automobiles and airplanes, more direct and on-time flights, safer flying and runway traffic, along with aircraft engines, cockpit and cabin electronics, wireless connectivity services, logistics, and more. The business delivers safer, faster, and more efficient and comfortable transportation-related experiences worldwide. For more information, visit www.honeywell.com or follow us at @Honeywell_Aero and @Honeywell_Turbo.
Honeywell (www.honeywell.com) is a Fortune 100 diversified technology and manufacturing leader, serving customers worldwide with aerospace products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes and industry; turbochargers; and performance materials. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywellnow.com.
Honeywell and the Honeywell logo are the exclusive properties of Honeywell, are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and may be registered or pending registration in other countries. All other Honeywell product names, technology names, trademarks, service marks, and logos may be registered or pending registration in the U.S. or in other countries. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Copyright 2015 Honeywell.
SOURCE Honeywell Aerospace