ABERDEEN, N.J., Jan. 23, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Winter is here, and all New Jersey motorists would be wise to prepare their cars, advise veteran mechanics Jason and Janet Bigelow of Advanced Tire & Auto Center on Highway 35 in Aberdeen.
"Each year, our shop sees a jump in calls about car breakdowns—dead batteries, leaking gaskets and everything in between—as soon as the mercury drops below freezing," explains Janet Bigelow, a veteran auto technician with more than 18 years of experience. "But by investing in an hour or two of maintenance to winterize their vehicles, drivers in New Jersey and the Northeast can reduce their chances of being stuck on the roadside during a snowstorm."
To protect vehicles from the effects of harsh weather, drivers should consider taking the following winterization steps, according to the husband-and-wife team:
- Check the battery and charging system.
- Clean, flush and put new antifreeze into the cooling system. Make sure heaters, defrosters and wipers work properly.
- Examine tire tread depth and tire pressure.
- Change the oil and check/replace the oil, fuel, and air filters as required.
- Inspect brakes.
- Eliminate carbon monoxide leaks from the exhaust system, which can be especially dangerous during cold-weather driving when windows are closed.
- Replace exterior and interior lights as needed.
- Keep the gas tank at least half full at all times to decrease the chances of moisture forming in the gas lines and freezing.
- Always keep an emergency kit in the car (flares, blankets, water, snacks).
"If your vehicle needs a tune-up, have it done now," Jason Bigelow advises. "Winter magnifies existing problems such as pings, hard starts, sluggish performance or rough idling."
About Advanced Tire & Auto Center.
Advanced Tire & Auto Center, located at 146 State Highway 35 in Aberdeen Twp., N.J., was established by veteran mechanic Jason Bigelow in 1995. Known for its focus on diagnosing and repairing state-of-the-art, 21st-century vehicles, Advanced Tire & Auto Center utilizes 21 factory O.E. diagnostic tools paired with well-trained technicians to perform the same level of service offered by dealerships, but at lower costs. Its comprehensive services include everything from transmission maintenance to diagnostics for cooling systems, hybrid engines and advanced computers, to more traditional services such as oil changes, installation of batteries, shocks and struts, state inspections, factory-scheduled maintenance, tire sales and services and wheel alignments.
SOURCE Advanced Tire & Auto Center