SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 14, 2018 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Michelson 20MM Foundation invites nine enterprising education technology startups to join the second cohort of its successful EdTech accelerator, Michelson Runway. The selected companies will receive equity investments and support through a four–month hybrid, virtual accelerator program designed to promote technological innovations in postsecondary education (including higher education, workforce development, and/or lifelong learning). Launching on February 15, Cohort 2 participants include: APL nextED, Gooroo, MeasureOne, NameCoach, NexusEdge, Osmosis, Qualified.io, The Whether by Better Weekdays, and Year On.
"After the impressive run of the inaugural Michelson Runway cohort in 2016, we aimed to assemble the most promising startups to further the foundation's mission of promoting educational access, efficacy, and equity through technological innovations," said Dr. Gary K. Michelson, founder of the Michelson 20MM Foundation. "The entrepreneurs selected for Cohort 2 all demonstrate a strong passion for serving today's diverse and at-risk students so that they thrive in the post-secondary space and the workforce."
Continuing it's partnership with Runway Incubator, accelerator participants will receive financial & legal services, free desk space in downtown San Francisco, feedback from leading visionaries, access to world-class mentors and investors, and over $400,000 in partnership benefits. Descriptions of the selected companies are as follows:
- APL nextED: A comprehensive Faculty Management Solution (FMS) for managing faculty workflow and data.
- Gooroo: An online marketplace that connects students to qualified tutors. Students can discover, book, and manage sessions, all within the Gooroo web and mobile apps.
- MeasureOne: Enabling the use of personal and academic data to streamline institutional admissions and placement; provide meaningful access to financial services for a population with no credit history; and uniquely inform internship and career opportunities.
- NameCoach: The world's first platform for more respectful and inclusive interactions through enabling accurate name pronunciation and gender identification.
- NexusEdge: AI-driven lifelong career navigation platform designed to help students discover their career paths and assist employers in building a pipeline of candidates that meet their specific expectations.
- Osmosis: A personalized learning platform and comprehensive video library that is educating the world's health force.
- Qualified.io: A platform designed to identify and assess developer talent through its automated Code Assessments and Live Interview tool, accelerating the recruiting process and saving clients time and money.
- The Whether by Better Weekdays: A personalized career guide for college students, making it easy for employers to attract, engage, and hire diverse talent.
- Year On: A structured gap year program that provides coaching to better prepare students for success before they enter higher education.
The Michelson 20MM Foundation is proud to have Bisk Ventures return as strategic advisor and sponsor of Michelson Runway Cohort 2. Founded by Mike Bisk in 2015, Bisk Ventures leverages Bisk Education's 20 years of online program management expertise in higher education, and shares in the mission as the Michelson 20MM Foundation to amplify the potential of people around the world.
"We are excited to return as a Michelson Runway partner in order to continue driving student success through the development of new technologies," said Mike Bisk. "The companies selected for Cohort 2 each have the potential to disrupt traditional postsecondary education models and enhance the learning experience, particularly for students from underserved communities."
The Michelson 20MM Foundation is also delighted to welcome the support and sponsorship of Cooley LLP. The leading global EdTech law firm will be providing guidance to Cohort 2 participants, and has also signed on as a sponsor of Michelson Runway's upcoming Hackathon event in partnership with General Assembly.
The newly selected entrepreneurs will follow catalysts from the first cohort that include Motimatic, ReUp Education, Pragya Systems, and others, which have all achieved significant milestones.
About Michelson Runway
The Michelson Runway Accelerator is dedicated to supporting innovations in higher education and career training. Our guiding star is simple: All students around the world should have access to an affordable, equitable, and high-quality education that leads to a meaningful career.
About Michelson 20MM Foundation
The Michelson 20MM Foundation supports and invests in leading edge entrepreneurs, technologies, and initiatives with the potential to transform learning and improve access to educational opportunities that lead to meaningful careers. Michelson 20MM was founded thanks to the generous support of renowned inventor and spinal surgeon Dr. Gary K. Michelson, and his wife, Alya Michelson.
Follow us on twitter @Michelson20MM
About Runway Incubator
Runway Incubator is a technology innovation hub bringing together entrepreneurs, startups, VCs, mentors, Fortune 500 Corporations, and industry experts. Runway provides coworking space to entrepreneurs, accelerator programs for high-growth startups, corporate innovation services to global companies, and event programming.
Bisk Ventures is an early stage venture capital firm focused on accelerating growth for EdTech companies in the higher education and corporate learning space. Driven by a mission to enhance online education delivery and the student experience, Bisk helps startups grow and scale by connecting them with a wide network of institutional decision makers.
Clients partner with Cooley on transformative deals, complex IP and regulatory matters, and high-stakes litigation, where innovation meets the law. Cooley works with EdTech companies throughout their full corporate lifecycle, from startups to IPO and beyond, and provides comprehensive counsel that includes forming EdTech-focused investment funds and advising on strategic transactions. Cooley has 900 lawyers across 13 offices in the United States, China and Europe.
About General Assembly
General Assembly is a pioneer in education and career transformation, specializing in today's most in-demand skills. The leading source for training, staffing, and career transitions, General Assembly fosters a flourishing community of professionals pursuing careers they love.
Contact: Jade Le, jade+MRC2@20mm.org
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nine-startups-invited-to-join-michelson-runway-edtech-accelerator-cohort-2-300598530.html
SOURCE The Michelson 20MM Foundation