CINCINNATI, Jan. 27, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Do you routinely honk at the car in front of you once the stoplight turns green? Or perhaps you are always bypassing slow walkers on the sidewalk or pressing an already illuminated elevator button in hopes of getting to your destination faster? If so, you're not alone, according to a Fifth Third survey1, which uncovered more than half of Americans admit to honking after the light turns green; a majority will wait 10 seconds or less before passing a slow walker on the sidewalk and 72 percent of Gen Yers admit to pushing an already lit elevator button. Fifth Third created the survey to underscore America's need for speed in everyday tasks. This universal impatience is what led Fifth Third to wonder how it can help make daily banking activities even more efficient for its customers.
"Patience may be a virtue, but it's no longer a reality," said Maria Veltre, senior vice president and chief marketing officer, Fifth Third Bank. "In our increasingly fast-paced society, every second counts. This was the driving force behind our faster mobile app, which takes the wait out of banking and makes it easier for our customers to get what they need and get on with their busy day."
Known as "The Curious Bank," Fifth Third wanted to know how "insanely impatient" our world has really become after having developed new features to give the gift of time back to its mobile banking customers. It commissioned a national survey that revealed a surprising disconnect, with nearly 80 percent of respondents rating themselves as being patient, but in reality:
- 96 percent of Americans will knowingly consume extremely hot food or drink that burns their mouth; 63 percent do so frequently
- More than half hang up the phone after being on hold one minute or less
- 71 percent frequently exceed the speed limit to get to their destination faster
- Americans will binge-watch an average of seven TV episodes in a single sitting
- Nearly a third of respondents ages 18-24 wait less than one second before bypassing a slow walker
- Gen Yers check their phones an average of eight times when waiting to hear back from someone they've dated
- When waiting for a table at a restaurant, nearly a quarter of respondents ages 18-24 wait less than one minute before approaching the host again after the wait period has passed
The new Fifth Third mobile app eliminates unnecessary steps and shaves time from frequent banking activities, allowing customers to efficiently accomplish the following, whether at home or on-the-go:
- Check Balances and Transfer Funds Quickly: Now Balance℠ allows customers to check their account balances without signing in – simply by swiping to the left on the log in screen. And now they can transfer money seamlessly between accounts in just seconds.
- App, Tap, Deposit.℠: Deposit Checks with a smartphone: With Fifth Third's App, Tap, Deposit feature, taking a photo of a check to be deposited is now automatic. It's so simple, now the bank even takes the picture for the customer. Deposits made by 8 PM ET will post the same business day. (Two accounts, Basic Checking and Access 360° are not eligible for Mobile deposit.) Customers save time and the trip to the branch or ATM. Mobile Deposit is easy and secure.
- Mobile Bill Pay: Customers can pull bills out of the mailbox, then pull their phone out of their pocket. Makes it simple to set up a new bill payee and pay bills right from the Mobile App. Most payments made by 4 PM ET are paid the next business day. Staying in control of bills is easier and more convenient than ever!
- Instant Alerts: Fifth Third Instant Alerts℠ provides customers with immediate information on account and online security and instant notices for card and spending activity. The bank automatically sends you security alerts if they notice any suspicious activity or changes to the customer's information. Plus, alerts make it easier to keep track of balances when a customer signs up for card and balance alerts.
- Text Banking: Customers can text one of the short commands to 535353 and the bank will reply back with the information you requested.
Mobile internet data and text message charges may apply. Consumers can contact their mobile service provider for details.
Fifth Third partnered with Leo Burnett, its agency of record, to develop this advertising campaign to promote the new mobile banking app. The campaign features TV, radio, out-of-home, experiential, online, social and mobile ads targeting consumers and small businesses.
"Although mobile apps aren't deeply emotional, we can connect with people through the humor of our universal insanity when it comes to waiting. The campaign creates relatable scenarios that could easily stand in for so many aspects of our lives where our impatience gets the best of us," said Dave Loew, executive vice president and executive creative director of Leo Burnett Chicago. "Even a few seconds feel like an eternity. We wanted to show how Fifth Third's new mobile app can give us a few of those moments back."
About Fifth Third
Fifth Third Bancorp is a diversified financial services company headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio. As of December 31, 2014, the Company had $139 billion in assets and operated 15 affiliates with 1,302 full-service Banking Centers, including 101 Bank Mart® locations, most open seven days a week, inside select grocery stores and 2,638 ATMs in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Florida, Tennessee, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Georgia and North Carolina. Fifth Third operates four main businesses: Commercial Banking, Branch Banking, Consumer Lending, and Investment Advisors. Fifth Third also has a 22.8% interest in Vantiv Holding, LLC. Fifth Third is among the largest money managers in the Midwest and, as of December 31, 2014, had $308 billion in assets under care, of which it managed $27 billion for individuals, corporations and not-for-profit organizations. Investor information and press releases can be viewed at www.53.com. Fifth Third's common stock is traded on the NASDAQ® Global Select Market under the symbol "FITB." Fifth Third Bank was established in 1858. Member FDIC.
About Leo Burnett Worldwide
Leo Burnett Worldwide operates with a simple and singular approach: put a brand's purpose at the center of communications to truly connect with people. Part of the Publicis Groupe, Leo Burnett Worldwide embraces a HumanKind approach to marketing and is one of the world's largest agency networks with 85 offices and nearly 9,000 employees. The global agency works with some of the world's most valued brands including Coca-Cola, Fiat, Fifth Third, Kellogg's, Kraft, McDonald's, Nintendo, P&G, Purina, Samsung and Tata among others. For the past four years, Leo Burnett has been ranked #1 in "New World Thinking" by The Gunn Report. In 2014, Leo Burnett was named "Network of the Year" at the International ANDY Awards, ADC Awards, MENA Cristal Festival and at the inaugural Cannes Health Lions. To learn more about Leo Burnett Worldwide and its rich, 80-year history of creating iconic brands, visit our site, Facebook page and follow us via @leoburnett.
1 Survey was conducted online by Wakefield Research among 1,000 US adults 18+, between January 15 and January 23, 2015.
Fifth Third Bank
Zeno Group for Fifth Third Bank
SOURCE Fifth Third Bancorp