NORFOLK, Va., July 15, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Norfolk Southern (NYSE: NSC) invites visitors to the railroad's new online sustainability report, "Connections," to take a ride on the green side of freight transportation.
The 2015 report includes a virtual train journey highlighting NS' sustainable business practices and the environmental, economic, and social advantages of shipping goods by rail. It details progress toward improving locomotive fuel economy, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, enhancing operating safety and customer service, and increasing workforce diversity.
"This report reflects Norfolk Southern's commitment to conduct business as a responsible corporate citizen," said Bruno Maestri, vice president government relations, corporate communications, and corporate sustainability officer. "Through the efforts of our people, the company has made measurable progress on its sustainability journey during the past year. Our goal is to continually improve our operating performance and generate benefits for investors, customers, employees, and the communities we serve."
Among achievements highlighted in the company's eighth annual sustainability report, NS in 2014:
- Reached 85 percent of a goal to reduce locomotive greenhouse gas emissions by 10 percent per revenue ton-mile of freight.
- Improved locomotive fuel efficiency by 2.2 percent, conserving nearly 11 million gallons of diesel fuel.
- Completed 93 percent of a $5.6 million commitment to reforest 10,000 acres in the Mississippi Delta that eventually will absorb the equivalent of nearly 20 percent of the railroad's annual greenhouse gas emissions.
- Contributed $2.3 billion in employee payroll and more than $6.3 billion in purchases, other payments, and local and state taxes across the railroad's 22-state network.
- Invested $2.1 billion in capital projects to maintain the franchise and expand business opportunities, including completion of a $160 million expansion of Moorman Yard in Bellevue, Ohio, to enhance network efficiencies and customer service.
- Nearly tripled the number of minority-, women-, and small-business suppliers from 2011 through 2014.
- Donated $13.2 million to educational, cultural, environmental, and human service organizations through the Norfolk Southern Foundation.
- Hired 2,249 new employees, including 380 military veterans and record numbers of females as conductor and management trainees.
The report also can be accessed from the Environment page of Norfolk Southern's corporate website.
About Norfolk Southern Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is one of the nation's premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 20,000 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a major transporter of coal, automotive, and industrial products.
SOURCE Norfolk Southern Corporation