MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Oct. 10, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Today Norton by Symantec (Nasdaq: SYMC) released the public beta of version 6.0 of its award-winning all-in-one security suite Norton 360. The beta is available for free download from the Norton beta website, and includes the powerful core security technology found in Norton Internet Security 2012, in addition to enhanced PC tuneup and backup capabilities. The Norton 360 beta is designed to deliver the strongest, most comprehensive protection for consumers, without sacrificing speed or performance. According to Symantec's internal testing, the version 6.0 beta outperforms the award-winning Norton 360 version 5.0 on key performance metrics, including an average improvement of over 50 percent on file copy impact.
New protection and usability improvements in the Norton 360 version 6.0 beta include:
- Norton Identity Safe in the Cloud – Protects personal and financial information from cybercriminals and keeps users safe from fraudulent websites. New streamlined interface, simplified login experience, and ability to store passwords in the cloud make accessibility easy from any computer with Norton Internet Security 2012 or Norton 360 version 6.0 beta installed.
- Norton Management – New web-based functionality lets users manage their Norton products from anywhere in the world. Users can remotely add Norton products, manage security settings and update subscriptions, making it simple to check on the health of their devices or fix issues without needing to be there in person.
- Download Insight Stability Ratings – Checks every downloaded file for safety before installation and now provides users with additional data about the predicted stability of the application in their environment based on the stability experiences of millions of other Symantec users.
- Bandwidth Management – Limits non-critical Norton updates when connected to metered networks to avoid using up monthly data allotments or causing overage fees.
In addition, key continuing features include:
- Norton Insight – Norton's exclusive reputation-based security technology leverages the anonymous software adoption patterns of millions of contributing Symantec users to automatically identify and block never before seen malicious software.
- SONAR – SONAR technology monitors running applications for suspicious behavior to quickly detect and disable previously unknown threats.
- Norton User Experience – From the streamlined main user interface, Norton 360 version 6.0 beta offers quick access to Norton Mobile Security Lite, Norton Cybercrime Index, Norton Online Family and website ratings service Norton Safe Web.
The Norton 360 version 6.0 beta is available for free public download now at the Norton Beta Center. Beta testers are encouraged to share feedback and discuss their product experiences in our online Norton Public Beta Forum.
About Norton by Symantec
Symantec's Norton products protect consumers from cybercrime with technologies like antivirus, anti-spyware and phishing protection -- while also being light on system resources. The company also provides services such as online backup, PC tuneup, and family online safety. Like Norton on Facebook at www.facebook.com/norton.
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec Logo, the Checkmark Logo, and Norton are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Forward Looking Statements: Any forward-looking indication of plans for products is preliminary and all future release dates are tentative and are subject to change. Any future release of the product or planned modifications to product capability, functionality or feature are subject to ongoing evaluation by Symantec, and may or may not be implemented and should not be considered firm commitments by Symantec and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.
SOURCE Norton by Symantec