ANN ARBOR, Mich., April 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- NSK Corporation (NSK) today released its 2011 environmental achievements, championed by its seven ISO 14000-certified production facilities in the United States. Based on a series of pre-established benchmarks, NSK's sustainability efforts have saved:
- 11,402 trees equivalent to 141,246,000 sheets of newspaper
- 267,521 gallons of oil, enough to heat 1,323 homes for a year
- 4,044,600 gallons of water, enough for the required daily intake of 53,920 people for a year
- 13,867 gallons of gasoline, enough to drive 386,400 miles in a mid-size car
- 23,160,465 kilowatt hours of electricity, enough to provide electricity for 2,824 homes for a year
Marcia Fournier, Manager of Environmental Health and Safety, is responsible for leading NSK's sustainable strategy in the Americas. She states "We made the investment to ensure everyone had a baseline knowledge of our environmental objectives and we work collaboratively to achieve them. Joining the EPA's WasteWise program, is what gives us our sustainability numbers regarding how many trees and how much water we've saved."
An extensive list of initiatives was created to meet the company's environmental goals, including a 98% recycling target. Some of these include:
- installation of a reverse osmosis systems that enabled plants to eliminate a deionized water system requiring the use of hazardous chemicals
- reduction in kerosene usage for parts cleaning
- reduction of electrical usage by switching to electronic ballasts, installing more efficient lighting and eliminating air-system leaks
Brian Lindsay, President and CEO of NSK Corporation, has overseen the complete revision of NSK America's environmental policy. He says "We are proactively seeking out the right thing to do environmentally rather than being focused on avoiding doing the wrong thing. Environmental stewardship needs a focus and part of that focus is to create and establish a position within the Americas that environmental excellence is paramount."
A detailed report on NSK's global sustainability initiatives can be found at http://www.nsk.com/sustainability/reports.html
Established in 1916 and headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, NSK is a world-class manufacturer of motion and control products, leading the industry with superior quality, engineering research and technical innovation. NSK produces and distributes a wide range of rolling element bearings, linear motion and automotive component products for a variety of applications.
Operating in the Americas, NSK Corporation is a member of the NSK Ltd. group and is headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan. NSK Corporation has a network of sales and engineering teams working in partnership with customers to deliver high-performance products, application-specific solutions, superior technical support and exceptional service to the Americas market. The company's strategically located manufacturing and distribution centers supply both original equipment manufacturers and the industrial aftermarket through a broad distribution network. For more information, visit www.nskamericas.com.