SALT LAKE CITY, Aug. 9, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Over the past decade, organizations have struggled to understand why they aren't moving the needle on attracting, engaging and keeping employees, including top performers. O.C. Tanner, the global leader in employee recognition and engagement, today released the findings of a comprehensive international study revealing the fundamental building blocks for any successful culture. The study illustrates that the six key aspects most meaningful to employees are purpose, opportunity, success, appreciation, wellbeing and leadership. In line with the study's findings, O.C. Tanner has launched Culture Assessment, a new service to help companies effectively evaluate these six core elements of engagement to measure their workplace culture and increase employee engagement.
After surveying nearly 10,000 employees from 12 countries around the world, O.C. Tanner found that many employees are not satisfied with the current state of their workplace cultures, and it's clear there is a lot of work that can and should be done to improve corporate culture. On average, responding employees only rated their current workplace culture a 65 on a 100-point scale. The study also found that 40 percent think their organization only cares about its profits, 42 percent believe their accomplishments go unnoticed and 35 percent do not trust senior leadership at their organization, among many other stats showing their dissatisfaction. Organizations often try to force loyalty and engagement upon their employees and instead should focus on creating a culture where employees want to come, choose to engage and desire to stay.
O.C. Tanner's new six-aspect framework is meant to simplify culture in a way that any leader feels empowered to tackle it. At the same time, this framework has a large impact on key business results. Comparing average companies to companies who do better across purpose, opportunity, success, appreciation, wellbeing and leadership, the study's results show staggering improvement such as:
- 54 percent more likely to have employees that are promoters on the standard NPS scale
- 53 percent more likely to have highly engaged employees
- 29 percent more likely to have employees innovating and performing great work
- 27 percent more likely to have increased in revenue last year
- 22 percent less likely to have experienced layoffs in the last year
- 25 percent more likely to have teams growing in size instead of stagnating or decreasing in the last year
"With so much discussion about culture, one thing is clear: there is a lot of confusion and disagreement over what it is and how to develop a great workplace culture," said O.C. Tanner President and CEO Dave Petersen. "Our study and new Culture Assessment helps companies figure out where their culture is strong, where it could be improved, and what it takes to cultivate their 'way of being' as an organization – which is what really draws talented people to want to join, work together, contribute, and be part of a fantastic and vibrant workplace community and culture. Leaders who pay attention to these talent magnets are going to attract people who want to be part of something great – and culture is where it all comes together."
As a result of the study, O.C. Tanner has created Culture Assessment, a service to help companies evaluate how well they are meeting these six fundamental culture aspects. Culture Assessment leverages a simplified and proven measurement process to help companies address what is most meaningful to employees and dramatically improve the likelihood of attracting, engaging and retaining them.
Culture Assessment includes innovative features to help analyze and improve culture, including:
- Quantitative insights. Culture Assessment measures how well an organization is doing relative to each of the six aspects and delivers an accurate, in-depth view of a company's culture. This view includes a standardized engagement index and net promoter score to measure employee satisfaction and retention, providing leadership with a clearer picture of their company culture to know where best to focus efforts, year after year.
- Actionable items to quickly get culture right. Easy to use and comprehensive, Culture Assessment analyzes employees' workplace perceptions, compares results to relevant benchmarks and presents actionable recommendations to help companies quickly solve any culture problems and enhance employee engagement.
- Detailed customization. Culture Assessment offers three tiers of measurement packages to allow companies to choose what is best for them to increase employee engagement. Whether organizations want a culture baseline across their teams, departments or companies, Culture Assessment provides a data-driven, strategic approach to measurement.
- Culture-building service. From aligning business and people-related goals to designing a sustainable vision, O.C. Tanner's expert team partners with companies to build a highly engaged and high-performing culture to deliver on business goals and recruit and retain top talent.
To learn more about the talent magnet study's findings, please visit http://www.octanner.com/content/dam/oc-tanner/documents/white-papers/INT-TalentMagnetWhitePaper.pdf.
About O.C. Tanner
O.C. Tanner, the global leader in employee recognition and engagement, helps thousands of top companies create engaging cultures that help people accomplish and appreciate great work. Twenty-five of the Fortune 100 Best Companies To Work For® use an O.C. Tanner recognition solution. Learn how to influence greatness in your organization at octanner.com.
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/oc-tanner-global-study-reveals-the-six-key-aspects-of-workplace-culture-that-attract-engage-and-retain-employees-300501743.html
SOURCE O.C. Tanner