HARRISBURG, Pa., May 23, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Education and outreach staff from the Department of Banking and Securities will be meeting with senior citizens, active military and veterans, service provider groups, and the general public across Pennsylvania during the month of June to promote financial capability as part of Governor Tom Wolf's Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
For General Audiences
Department staff will be presenting "Avoiding Scams and ID Theft" – which helps consumers protect themselves from financial scams as well as informs victims of scams on how to get help – will be offered at the following locations:
- An event sponsored by Senator Tom McGarrigle at Easttown Library at 720 First Avenue in Berwyn (Chester County) on June 2 from 3:00 PM to 4:15 PM
The presentation "Creating a Spending Plan" – which outlines the differences between wants and needs; setting "SMART" goals; creating a spending plan; and putting the plan into action –will be presented at the following location:
- Schuylkill Township Building at 11 Valley Park Road in Phoenixville (Chester County) on June 15 from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM
- Muhlenberg Community Library at 3612 Kutztown Road in Laureldale (Berks County) on June 20 from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM. The program will emphasize investing and attendees will also learn about the DASH for the STASH program being hosted by the library.
The presentation "How Can the DoBS Help You?" – which helps participants understand the businesses the department regulates as well as how its outreach and complaint operations work – to the following group:
- Fred B. Rooney Building at 4 E. 4th Street in Bethlehem (Northampton County) on June 6 from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM (open to building residents ONLY)
For Senior Citizens
The presentation "Fraud Bingo" – an interactive presentation to help participants learn ways to protect themselves from investment fraud and other financial scams – will be offered at the following locations:
- Homestead Apartments at 441 E. 8th Avenue, Building C – Community Room in Homestead (Allegheny County) on June 1 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM (open to apartment residents ONLY)
- Lodge Run Apartments at 816 Gillespie Avenue in Portage (Cambria County) on June 1 from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM (open to apartment residents ONLY)
Department staff will be participating in Sen. Mary Jo Daley's Senior Expo at Colonial Elementary School at 230 Flourtown Road in Plymouth Meeting (Montgomery County) on June 16 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
The presentation "Cybersecurity–Staying Safe on the Internet" – covering key topics such as using secure websites, creating strong passwords, being aware of what you put on social media, and even tips for shopping online safely – will be offered at the following locations:
- Schoolhouse Center at 600 Swarthmore Avenue in Folsom (Delaware County) on June 22 from 11:15 AM to 1:30 PM. The presentation will be followed by a game of "Consumer Fraud Bingo."
- Center in the Park at 5818 Germantown Avenue in Philadelphia on June 23 from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Staff will hold two separate sessions in the morning. This is also a DASH for the STASH kick-off event.
Department staff will present "Understanding Reverse Mortgages" and "Homeownership in Tough Times" as part of a senior event coordinated by Senator Elder Vogel, Jr. at Challenges: Options in Aging at 2706 Mercer Road in New Castle (Mercer County) on June 27 from 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM.
For Active Military and Veterans:
Department staff will be participating in a "Making $ense of Finance" conference at Fort Indiantown Gap on June 9. The conference is designed specifically towards addressing the financial and investing challenges faced by members of the military and veterans. (open to active military and veterans ONLY)
For Service Provider Groups:
Department staff will present "How Can the DoBS Help You?" at the annual Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency Multifamily Affordable Housing Conference in State College (Centre County) on June 29. (open to conference attendees ONLY)
The Department of Banking and Securities offers a number of educational presentations designed to help consumers of all ages and professionals learn to protect and grow their own money and that of clients. The presentation Calendar of Events can be found online: http://bit.ly/1KIscBZ. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or learn more online: http://bit.ly/2bjKrTa.
Media contact: Ed Novak, 717-783-4721
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pa-wolf-administration-announces-consumer-financial-protection-initiative-outreach-schedule-for-june-300462448.html
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities