HARRISBURG, Pa., June 19, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Education and outreach staff from the Department of Banking and Securities will be meeting with senior citizens, members of the military, service provider groups, and the general public across Pennsylvania during the month of July to promote financial capability as part of Governor Tom Wolf's Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
For Senior Citizens
The presentation "Consumer Fraud Bingo" – an interactive presentation to help participants learn ways to protect themselves from investment fraud and other financial scams – will be offered at the following locations:
- Columbia Senior Center at 510 Walnut Street in Columbia (Lancaster County) on July 21 from 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM
- Elizabethtown Area Senior Center at 70 S. Poplar Street in Elizabethtown (Lancaster County) on July 21 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM
The presentation "Banking Basics" – an overview of how banks and credit unions work, including differences among types of accounts, what to do if you have past banking issues, and questions you should ask before opening an account – will be offered at the following locations:
- Hopewell Manor at 58 E. Main Street in Elverson (Chester County) on July 7 from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM (open to manor residents ONLY)
- Mt. Nazareth Commons at 250 Nazareth Way in Pittsburgh (Allegheny County) on July 26 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM
Department staff will be participating in Rep. Karen Boback's Senior Expo at Tunkhannock Area High School at 135 Tiger Drive in Tunkhannock (Wyoming County) on July 28 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. The expo will include a mini-seminar presented by staff on "Cybersecurity – Staying Safe Online" which covers key topics such as using secure websites, creating strong passwords, being aware of what you put on social media, and even tips for shopping online safety.
The presentation "Avoiding Scams and ID Theft" – which helps consumers protect themselves from financial scams as well as informs victims of scams on how to get help – will be offered at the following location:
- Commons at North Aiken at 5330 North Aiken Court in Pittsburgh (Allegheny County) on July 25 from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM (open to residents and their guests ONLY)
For General Audiences
Department staff will be presenting "Avoiding Scams and ID Theft" at the following locations:
- Belmont Properties at 2560 Belmont Avenue in Philadelphia on July 19 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM (open to residents of property ONLY)
- Inglis Gardens at Eastwick at 8000 Lyons Avenue in Philadelphia on July 19 from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM (open to residents of property ONLY)
Department staff will present "Banking Basics" at Sweetbriar Place at 211 Sweetbriar Place in Pittsburgh (Allegheny County) on July 25 from 12:45 PM to 2:00 PM
Department staff will be participating in the 75th Anniversary Celebration at Letterkenny Army Depot on July 17 (open to Letterkenny employees ONLY).
For Service Provider Groups:
Department staff will be a participating vendor at the Pennsylvania Sheriffs' Association Annual Conference in Pittsburgh (Allegheny County) on July 12 (open to conference attendees ONLY).
Additionally, department staff will present "Cents and Sensibility: Teaching Financial Literacy to Transition Age Students" at the Pennsylvania Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR) Early Reach Initiative Statewide Training Conference at the Atherton Hotel, 125 South Atherton Street in State College (Centre County) on July 27 (open to conference attendees ONLY).
The Department of Banking and Securities offers a number of educational presentations designed to help consumers of all ages and professionals learn to protect and grow their own money and that of clients. The presentation Calendar of Events can be found online: http://bit.ly/1KIscBZ. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or learn more online: http://bit.ly/2bjKrTa.
Media contact: Ed Novak, 717-783-4721
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pa-wolf-administration-announces-consumer-financial-protection-outreach-schedule-for-july-300475860.html
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities