HARRISBURG, Pa., Aug. 16, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Education and outreach staff from the Department of Banking and Securities will be meeting with senior citizens, members of the military, and the general public across Pennsylvania during the month of September to promote financial capability as part of Governor Tom Wolf's Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
For Senior Citizens
Department staff will be participating in several senior citizen expos sponsored by members of the General Assembly, including:
- Sen. Donald White, Rep. Donna Oberlander, and Rep. Jeff Pyle's Annual Senior Expo at Kittanning Township Volunteer Fire Department, 13128 US Route 422 in Kittanning (Armstrong County) on September 6 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- Sen. Gene Yaw and Rep. Garth Everett's Senior Expo at Pennsdale Civic Center, 261 Village Road in Muncy (Lycoming County) on September 12 from 9:30 AM to 10:00 PM
- Rep. Sue Helm's Senior Expo at East Hanover Municipal Building, 8848 Jonestown Road in Grantville (Dauphin County) on September 14 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- Sen. Robert Tomlinson's Annual Senior Expo at Fall Manor Catering and Special Events, 4010 New Falls Road in Bristol (Bucks County) on September 14 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- Rep. Zach Mako's Senior Event at Bethany Wesleyan Church, 675 Blue Mountain Drive in Cherryville (Northampton County) on September 15 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
- Sen. Elder Vogel, Jr.'s 2017 Senior Expo at Cascade Park New Castle, 1928 E. Washington Street in New Castle (Lawrence County) on September 15 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- Rep. Mike Turzai's Senior Expo at Community College of Allegheny County – North Campus, 8701 Perry Highway in Pittsburgh (Allegheny County) on September 22 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Rep. Dan Miller's Senior Expo at Salvation Army, 1060 McNeilly Road in Pittsburgh (Allegheny County) on September 28 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Sen. Tom Killion's Senior Expo at Penn State University – Brandywine, 26 Yearsley Mill Road in Media (Delaware County) on September 28 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Additionally, Rep. Rick Saccone will be hosting "Avoiding Scams and ID Theft" – which helps consumers protect themselves from financial scams as well as informs victims of scams on how to get help – at Bethel Park Community Center, 5151 Park Avenue in Bethel Park (Allegheny County) on September 7 from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
The presentation "Avoiding Scams and ID Theft" will also be offered at the following locations:
- Farrell Choice Homes at 411 Roemer Boulevard in Farrell (Mercer County) on September 8 from 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM (Open to residents and guests ONLY)
- York Commons at 4003 Penn Avenue in Pittsburgh (Allegheny County) on September 28 from 2:30 PM to 3:30 PM (Open to residents and guests ONLY)
- Poplar Lane Court at 110 New Salem Road in Uniontown (Fayette County) on September 29 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM (Open to residents and guests ONLY)
- Beeson Court at 125 E. Main Street in Uniontown (Fayette County) on September 29 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM (Open to residents and guests ONLY)
Department staff will offer the presentation "Cybersecurity–Staying Safe on the Internet" – covering key topics such as using secure websites, creating strong passwords, being aware of what you put on social media, and even tips for shopping online safely – at Plymouth Country Club, 888 Plymouth Road in Plymouth (Montgomery County) on September 21 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM. (Open to Montgomery County Chapter of PARSE members and their guests ONLY).
Department staff will be participating in the "Making $ense of Finance" event to educate participants on investment and retirement basics; budgeting; the federal Thrift Savings Plan; Credit Reports and Scores; and Avoiding Military-Focused Financial Scams at Letterkenny Army Depot at 3260 Georgia Avenue in Chambersburg (Franklin County) on September 16 from 9:00 AM to 2:30 PM. (Open to CAC card holders, Letterkenny employees, and their family members ONLY; Registration is required for this FREE event https://www.secure.dobs.pa.gov/?a=msof.msof).
Department staff will be presenting "Save & Invest PA!" – a program designed to teach students to pursue financial goals and financial independence through an introduction to the basics of investing and avoiding investment fraud. This program will be presented at Lampeter-Strasburg High School in Lancaster (Lancaster County) on September 26.
For General Audiences
Department staff will be participating in an event that combines two presentations: "Preparing for Big Purchases" and "Responsible Homeownership" – which discusses checking your credit report for accuracy, the importance of having a high credit score, planning and budgeting for a new home purchase, starting the loan process, and budgeting for surprise repairs and emergencies – at the following location:
- Muhlenberg Community Library at 3612 Kutztown Road in Laureldale (Berks County) on September 12 from 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM
As part of an ongoing series with MontcoWorks and PA CareerLink in Montgomery County, department staff will present "Banking Basics" – an overview of how banks and credit unions work, including differences among types of accounts, what to do if you have past banking issues, and questions you should ask before opening an account – will be offered at the following location:
- Montgomery County CareerLink at 1430 Dekalb Street in Norristown (Montgomery County) on September 13 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM (Registration required for this free event. Space is limited. Call 610-278-2609 to register.)
The Department of Banking and Securities offers educational presentations designed to help consumers of all ages learn to protect and grow their own money. The department's Calendar of Events can be found online: http://bit.ly/1KIscBZ. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email [email protected] for more information, or learn more online: http://bit.ly/2bjKrTa.
Media contact: Ed Novak, 717-783-4721
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities