NEW YORK, Oct. 2, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Parents magazine, one of the most trusted publications for parents and the leading voice for moms within the Meredith Parents Network, today announced the 15 winning titles for its 10th annual Best Children's Books List for newborns through middle schoolers. The selection process is unique: Literacy experts, including librarians and teachers, nominated more than 200 high-quality titles from the thousands released in 2018. Then 75 kid testers and their families read books in one or more of 15 categories, including best bedtime story and best book to give as a gift.
"From big belly laughs our young testers had looking at silly animals to the empathy our big-kid testers described feeling for struggling main characters, children connected emotionally to the winning titles," said Liz Vaccariello, Editor-in-Chief of Parents. "These books aren't one-time reads, and many will grow with your child and your family." Vaccariello also noted that she was impressed with the diversity of characters and authors reflected in the nominations—and ultimately the final list.
The titles that made this year's list are as follows:
- Best Board Book: Hi-Five Animals! written and illustrated by Ross Burach
- Best Alphabet Book: Mr. Bear's ABC written and illustrated by Virginie Aracil
- Best Bedtime Story: Star in the Jar written by Sam Hay, illustrated by Sarah Massini
- Best Gift Book: Happy Birthday to You! written by Nosy Crow, illustrated by Nicola Slater
- Best First Picture Book: Hungry Bunny written and illustrated by Claudia Rueda
- Best First Nonfiction Book: Do Not Lick This Book written by Idan Ben-Barak, illustrated by Julian Frost
- Best Animal Facts Book: The Big Book of the Blue written and illustrated by Yuval Zommer
- Best Picture Book: My Pet Wants a Pet written by Elise Broach, illustrated by Eric Barclay
- Best Book That Champions Kindness: I Walk With Vanessa illustrated by Kerascoët
- Best Biography: Mae Among the Stars written by Roda Ahmed, illustrated by Stasia Burrington
- Best Early Reader: Baby Monkey, Private Eye written by Brian Selznick and David Serlin, illustrated by Brian Selznick
- Best New Series: Polly Diamond written by Alice Kulpers, illustrated by Diana Toledano
- Best Graphic Novel: Be Prepared written and illustrated by Vera Brosgol
- Best Chapter Book to Read on Their Own: The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl written by Stacy McAnulty
- Best Chapter Book to Read Together: The Parker Inheritance written by Varian Johnson
Additional book details can be found in the November issue of Parents and online at Parents.com/BestBooks.
The Parents brand, the leading source of busy, millennial moms, reaches nearly 12 million readers monthly through an award-winning magazine and nearly 10 million through its digital platforms. With a 90+ year history of delivering trusted content, Parents provides an empowering voice that helps parents make the best decisions for their families while celebrating the joy of raising healthy, happy children. Parents magazine is published monthly by Meredith Corporation with a rate base of 2.2 million.
ABOUT MEREDITH CORPORATION
Meredith has been committed to service journalism for more than 115 years. Today, Meredith uses multiple distribution platforms—including broadcast television, print, digital, mobile, and video—to provide consumers with content they desire and to deliver the messages of its advertising and marketing partners. Meredith's National Media Group reaches 175 million unduplicated American consumers every month, including 80 percent of U.S. millennial women. Meredith's Local Media Group includes 17 television stations, which reach more than 11 percent of U.S. households.