NEWPORT BEACH, Calif., Nov. 12, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- The pressing need to address growing premature births in the world inspired Amnion Life, (https://amnion.life/), to develop the AmnioBed, an amniotic, neonatal incubator system that incorporates unparalleled technology to promote ongoing development immediately following birth. This patented, cost-efficient, incubation device features an amniotic fluid submersion bath that simulates the mother's womb, providing a potentially ideal environment to nurture infants at their most vulnerable stage of life.
Amnion Life Founder and CEO, Amir Fassihi, M.D., is confident that the AmnioBed will prove to be advantageous over radiant warmer beds and convection warmed incubators in offering improved thermoregulation, hydration, and skin protection, helping to reduce complications and save lives, while also reducing costs.
"The AmnioBed has the potential to reduce the length of stay (LOS) for infants and to improve the rate of weight gain and growth in the NICU, thus saving significant direct costs of short and long-term visits, in addition to providing infants with improved health and comfort," Fassihi said.
Notable features of the AmnioBed include:
- Sterile Synthetic Amniotic Fluid: The synthetic amniotic fluid in AmnioBed is produced using purified water with the addition of electrolyte and minerals found naturally in Amniotic Fluid. The purified water is the same quality as used for dialysis. The AmnioBed purifies the water by taking it through six medical grade filters, eliminating all harmful substances, bacteria, and viruses. Dosing pump in the AmnioBed mixes in exact amounts of minerals and electrolytes to create sterile, synthetic amniotic fluid.
- Built-in System for Temperature and Osmolality: Water is warmed to proper temperature using the built-in computer system. Based on the age of the infant, operators have the option to choose the level of osmolality (a measure of how much one substance has dissolved in another substance) that they want in the fluid.
- Sterile Cover for the Bath: Includes infant seat with a harness that straps the infant's chest and pelvis in place, so the infant cannot accidentally get fully submerged.
- Cap with monitoring: Covers most of the scalp and has a strap that goes around the chin. Cap will have an infant skin temperature sensor and O2 monitoring sensor as well as openings on the Fontanelles for ultrasound probe placement.
- Fluid Depth Sensor: Placed under the infant's chin and will ensure fluid in the bath never goes above the chin level. If it does, the computer will automatically lower the fluid level, and alarms will go off for nursing attention.
- Fluid Circulation: The fluid in the bath is continuously circulated through a UV filter and heat source to maintain sterility and temperature.
- Fluid Clarity Sensors: Located beneath the pelvic area, the sensor will detect stool defecated by the infant, leading to automatic flushing of the fluid and automatic replacement with fresh fluid.
- Monitor for Mother: Will provide direct audio/video feedback from inside the incubator that can be placed on an app, so the mother can keep in constant contact with the infant.
Amnion Life has launched an awareness and equity campaign for the AmnioBed, (https://wefunder.com/amnionlife), to share the potential of this promising product.
ABOUT AMNION LIFE
Established in 2016, Amnion Life is a medical company in pursuit of innovative medical devices for preterm infants.
SOURCE Amnion Life