HOUSTON, Jan. 14, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today, PCCA announced the open enrollment period for its PCCA Institute courses. PCCA Institute offers contemporary pharmaceutical science programming and compounding training courses for students currently enrolled in pharmacy school. The courses take place onsite at PCCA's state-of-the-art laboratory in Houston, Texas, and remotely at partnering pharmacy schools. At the end of the course, students receive a certificate of completion from PCCA. Last year, PCCA Institute trained over 800 future pharmacists.
"PCCA Institute offers pharmacy students a unique opportunity for a hands-on approach to learning more about customized medical solutions," said Bindhu Batra, PharmD, Director of Academic Affairs at PCCA. "Many pharmacy schools are unable to offer a comprehensive compounding course as part of their curriculum, and those that do may be limited in what they are able to provide to students. Our goal is to provide the necessary education and laboratory experience for those students who are interested in entering the compounding pharmacy field after graduation."
PCCA Institute offers the following courses onsite at the PCCA Learning Center in Houston:
- Introductory Compounding Lab Boot Camp: The two-day course includes lecture and hands-on laboratory work to provide a basic understanding of the skills, tools and equipment used in contemporary compounding.
- Advanced Compounding Training Program: The course has two components – an online home study containing ten modules on advanced and applied concepts of pharmaceutical compounding, and a two-day laboratory experience that introduces the student to unique dosage forms and equipment.
- Veterinary Compounding Training Program: The course has two components – an online home study containing ten modules on veterinary pharmacotherapy as related to compounding, and a two-day laboratory experience that focuses on non-sterile compounding for different animal species.
PCCA Institute also offers pharmacy students the opportunity to attend a Remote Boot Camp at a partnering university. The Remote Boot Camp includes the same course material as the Introductory Compounding Lab Boot Camp, with the exception that the class takes place at the university's pharmacy lab. Participating universities and 2015 dates include:
- University of Missouri – Kansas City: January 10-11, 2015
- West Virginia University: February 7-8, 2015
- University of Hawaii at Hilo: March 14-15, 2015
- University of Toledo (Dates TBD)
- South Carolina College of Pharmacy (Dates TBD)
"PCCA Institute's Boot Camp training set a strong foundation for me to become a compounding pharmacist, and in turn, help train my current staff to ensure our products are of the highest quality for our patients," said Gilbert Sarmiento, PharmD, who attended the Boot Camp while in pharmacy school. "I found Boot Camp so valuable that I also participated in an experiential rotation with PCCA, which introduced me to understanding new dosage forms, how to identify proper dosages and ingredients for the individual patient, and allowed me to work on new formulations. PCCA Institute truly has allowed my pharmacy practice to excel."
If your university is interested in hosting a Remote Boot Camp course, please contact Bindhu Batra, PharmD, at 800.331.2498.
To view PCCA Institute's full 2015 schedule, please visit http://www.pccarx.com/pharmacy-students/courses/class-schedule
About PCCA Institute
PCCA Institute was founded in 1999 in order to expand on the mission of PCCA, a leader in pharmacy compounding since 1981. Using state-of-the-art education technology, the Institute strives to maintain PCCA's tradition as a recognized leader in providing contemporary compounding training for students enrolled in pharmacy school.
PCCA helps compounding pharmacies around the world deliver personalized, compounded medications that make a difference in people's lives. As a compounding pharmacist's most comprehensive resource, PCCA provides products, services and support to almost 4,000 pharmacist members throughout the United States, Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom. Serving compounding pharmacists since 1981, PCCA is headquartered in Houston, Texas. For more information about the company, visit pccarx.com.