SAN DIEGO, July 15, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- On Saturday, July 19, 2014, children ages 10 and up will have the opportunity to attend Petco's fifth annual "Reptile Rally" event.
This year's free, family-friendly event will take place from 1-3 p.m. at Petco stores nationwide. Those who attend can participate in Meet & Greets, where families can interact with friendly reptiles, such as Leopard Geckos, and learn useful care tips from knowledgeable Petco partners. Families will also learn fun facts about the lives of reptiles, such as:
- They blink in their sleep. Leopard geckos can blink their eyelids while sleeping.
- They get around. There are more than 8,000 species of reptiles living on every continent except Antarctica.
- They live a long time. Reptiles are amongst the longest living species. Some large tortoises can live for more than 150 years, while ball pythons can live up to 40 years.
- They aren't slimy. Contrary to popular belief, there's nothing slimy about being covered in scales. In fact, reptiles have no sweat glands and are typically dry to the touch.
Guests can also engage in a reptile photo experience with a prehistoric-themed backdrop and receive exciting giveaways throughout the event, including a new activity book featuring collectible trading cards and fun facts.
To learn more, please slither over to petco.com/reptilerally.
* This event will not take place in Hawaii or Puerto Rico locations.
About Petco and the Petco Foundation
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that focuses on nurturing powerful relationships between people and pets. We do this by providing the products, services, advice and experiences that keep pets physically fit, mentally alert, socially engaged and emotionally happy. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,300 Petco locations across the U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico, including more than 100 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop; 10 Pooch Hotel destinations for pet daycare, boarding and spa services; and petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $125 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support thousands of local animal welfare groups across the country and, through in-store adoption events, help find homes for more than 400,000 animals every year.