SAN DIEGO, Nov. 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- As pet parents aim to keep their own healthy diets and lifestyles on track through the holiday season, Petco is doing its part to help keep pet nutrition on track, too.
The holiday season is a great time for friends and families to come together, and more often than not, the common denominator in holiday gatherings is food. For the growing ranks of pet parents, pets have increasingly become part of the celebrations. But while ensuring four-legged family members are included, it's important to do so without compromising their overall health and well-being.
"Pet parents are increasingly turning toward healthier, natural and organic diets for themselves, and we know everyone struggles to stay on track during the holidays," said John Sturm, VP of Pet Nutrition. "What pet parents may not know is that they can be providing the same high-quality natural nutrition for their pets, and it's just as important to keep their health on track, too."
For nearly 50 years, Petco has hand-picked the best brands to help pet parents make informed choices from the wide variety of pet foods available today. As a result, the company is uniquely positioned to help ensure pets are getting the nutrition they need and deserve during the holidays and year-round.
"We know the pet food landscape has become confusing in recent years," said Sturm. "But truly natural pet foods are specially formulated with high-quality unique proteins, carbohydrates and fats to meet the specific nutritional needs of pets, with no added fillers or artificial ingredients. The natural foods carried at Petco can't usually be found in grocery stores."
To help pet parents make informed decisions about pet nutrition during the holiday season and all year long, Petco offers the following tips:
- Humans, cats and dogs have very different nutritional needs. While sharing table scraps with your pet may feel like a gesture of love, it's not ideal for a pet's overall health. Never feed your pet foods that have been made with chocolate, onions, macadamia nuts, grapes or raisins as they are toxic to most pets. Fatty, greasy, sweet or spicy foods should also be avoided due to the likelihood that they will lead to digestive upset.
- The right nutrition for each pet depends on a number of different factors, including age, breed, activity level and any special needs. There is always more than one food that may be right for your pet. To narrow your options, understand the basic needs of your pet's breed (size, species), life stage (puppy, adult or senior), activity level and any special health needs (overweight, food allergies, joint issues, etc.). Petco's knowledgeable store partners can help!
- Don't judge a bag by its cover. Just because a bag of pet food is covered with wholesome-looking ingredients doesn't mean the food inside is nutritious or Natural. Read the small print on the ingredient list (paying close attention to the first five to eight ingredients) and nutrition label, instead of depending on illustrations or advertising on the package. You know a food is truly natural when it contains a balanced mix of easy-to-identify, high-quality proteins, fats and carbohydrates without any added sugars or artificial colors. Some natural pet food brands now use novel protein sources like venison, duck, bison, wild game bird and rabbit. And, instead of the standard fillers found in grocery brands, truly natural pet foods use specialized ingredients like quinoa, tapioca, sweet potato and chick peas.
- Natural doesn't necessarily mean more expensive. Pet parents often mistakenly believe that natural pet foods cost much more than basic grocery brand foods. But, while natural formulas may cost more for the same size bag or can of basic food, they're made with higher-quality ingredients and are more nutrient-dense, which allows pets to absorb more of the nutrients they need with less food. And, just like healthy foods for humans helps keep doctors away, a more nutritious pet diet means less visits to the vet.
- If your pet doesn't love their new food, bring it back. With Petco's 100 percent satisfaction guarantee, pet parents can try transitioning to a new natural pet food with no worries. If it's not a perfect fit for your pet, bring it back for a full refund and ask a knowledgeable Petco partner for help finding the right food.
For more information about Petco or to find a location near you, visit petco.com.
About Petco and the Petco Foundation
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that focuses on nurturing powerful relationships between people and pets. We do this by providing the products, services, advice and experiences that keep pets physically fit, mentally alert, socially engaged and emotionally happy. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,300 Petco locations across the U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico, including more than 100 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop; 10 Pooch Hotel destinations for pet daycare, boarding and spa services; and petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $125 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support thousands of local animal welfare groups across the country and, through in-store adoption events, help find homes for more than 400,000 animals every year.
Contact: Megan Oxford, [email protected], 1-858-453-7845 x 3314