BURLINGTON, Mass., Oct. 16, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that awareness of Pfizer's Ibrance (palbociclib) among surveyed oncologists is the same as that of well-established hormonal therapies, indicating that Ibrance has rapidly penetrated the breast cancer market. Among surveyed oncologists who have prescribed Ibrance, satisfaction with this novel therapy is high, particularly regarding the agent's efficacy benefits.
Other key findings from the report entitled "LaunchTrends Ibrance Wave 2":
- Prescribing of Ibrance has significantly increased since our previous wave of research (fielded one month after launch). Use of Ibrance is eroding the use of both hormonal agents and chemotherapies.
- Reasons for not having yet prescribed Ibrance have remained similar between waves of research at one and six months post-launch; however there has been a shift in the type of patients who surveyed oncologists would not prescribe Ibrance to, likely owing to the increased awareness of the agent's profile.
- Over two thirds of surveyed oncologists report that the managed care approval process for Ibrance can be difficult and time consuming, however only a fifth of respondents say the managed care approval process has a negative influence on their prescribing of the agent.
- According to surveyed oncologists, anticipated prescribing of Ibrance is higher than current levels, meaning use of the agent will likely continue to increase in its approved setting.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Oncology Director Amy Duval, M.Res:
- "Strong efficacy data and high satisfaction with Ibrance, coupled with increasing experience and awareness of the agent are likely driving prescribing of this first-in-class agent. Just six months after launch, surveyed oncologists have the same awareness of Ibrance as hormonal therapies that have been engrained in the breast cancer treatment algorithm for many years."
- "Our research indicates a significant increase in Ibrance prescribing between one and six months post-launch. This trend looks set to continue based on future anticipated prescribing in hormone receptor-positive, HER2-negative metastatic breast cancer."
For more information on purchasing this report, please email [email protected].
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value data, analytics and insights products and services to the healthcare industry, delivered by more than 900 employees across 14 global locations. DRG provides the pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device, financial services and payer industries with the tools, insights and advice they need to compete and thrive in an increasingly complex and value-based marketplace. DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20130103/MM36768LOGO
SOURCE Decision Resources Group