Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. Set To Host Its Largest Conclave In The Organization's 101-year History.
The organization plans to energize its 'I Am My Brother's Keeper' initiative at the conclave slated to take place in Little Rock, Arkansas.
Members of the legendary Little Rock Nine and Georgetown University Professor Dr. Eric Michael Dyson are scheduled to participate in panel discussions centered on the future of boys and young men of color.
Jun 11, 2015, 09:50 ET
WASHINGTON, June 11, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. (PBS), poised from the successful celebration of its Centennial in 2014, is set to host its International Conclave on July 15 – 19, 2015 in Little Rock, Arkansas at the Little Rock Marriott Hotel. The conclave, the organization's official conference for its members worldwide, is projected to be the largest in its 101-year history. Members of the legendary Little Rock Nine and Georgetown University Professor Dr. Eric Michael Dyson are scheduled to participate in panel discussions centered on the future of boys and young men of color.
"Since our Centennial Celebration, we have achieved several firsts. Our sponsorship of REAL TALK during the 44th Annual Legislative Conference at the Congressional Black Caucus; our call to action initiative (I Am My Brother's Keeper) on President Barack Obama's 'My Brother's Keeper' Initiative; our partnership with the US Fish and Wildlife Services and our sponsorship of the documentary on the life of legendary US Congressman John Lewis are some of the efforts we have engaged in," said PBS International President Jonathan A. Mason, Sr. "During our conclave in Little Rock, Arkansas, we plan to energize our efforts as it relates to the discussion on the future of our young men of color. Our members have pledged to be exemplary pillars in the communities where they reside," Mason added.
Thousands of "Sigmas" from all walks of life and around the world will convene in Little Rock, Arkansas to continue the work the organization has began to effectuate change in the lives of young men of color. Several events such as a rally, college and job fairs are planned for the community, conclave attendees and their guests.
Events scheduled include:
- Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - I Am My Brother's Keeper Forums; "There's Something Special Going On in Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc." The Opening Ceremony featuring Grammy Award winner Contemporary Christian artist Le'Andria Johnson and Grammy Award winner songwriter, composer, producer, choir director Donald Lawrence & Company; "There's Something Special Going On" Reception and The Barbershop.
- Thursday, July 16, 2015 - Brother Demetrius C. Newton Sr. Annual Golf Classic; Breakfast with the Candidates (Candidate's Forum)/Oratorical & Debate Contest; Miss International Phi Beta Sigma Pageant; Local Chapters' White Party and The Barbershop.
- Friday, July 17, 2015 - Founders' & Sigma Beta Club Awards Luncheon; PBS International Step Show Competition & Concert featuring the "Alumni," Monie Love, Chubb Rock, Special Ed, Kwame and Dana Dane; National Pan-Hellenic Council Hospitality Night and The Barbershop.
- Saturday, July 18, 2015 - I Am My Brother's Keeper: Health Rally & Walk; I Am My Brother's Keeper College and Job Fair; Sigma Marketplace; Alain Leroy Locke Honors Chapter Induction Ceremony; I Am My Brother's Keeper Youth Activity; PBS Image Awards Banquet & Grand Orchid Ball featuring Grammy Award Nominee singer/songwriter Ledisi.
- Sunday, July 19, 2015 – Worship Service and Post General Board Meeting.
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., an international organization of college and professional men, was founded on January 9th, 1914 at Howard University on the principles, Brotherhood, Scholarship and Service. These principles are exhibited by the fraternity motto, "Culture for Service and Service for Humanity." As one of the nine predominantly Black Greek-Lettered organizations, Phi Beta Sigma has a membership of over 150,000 with over 750 chapters throughout the continental United States, Switzerland, Europe, Asia, the Caribbean and Africa.
The story of Sigma is the union of spirit and commitment to serve, with a firm foundation of learning and genuine interest in the wellbeing of others. This is crystallized in Sigma's motto: Culture for Service and Service for Humanity. The well-respected community services organization celebrates the long line of Sigma men who held true to its founding principles of Brotherhood, Scholarship and Service and who for over one Century (100 years) rendered creditable service to improve conditions and opportunities for individuals in all communities throughout the world.
For more information on Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. Conclave, please visit www.pbs100.org.
(323) 864-7092 - Cell
(626) 345-1413 - Off
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20140918/147151
SOURCE Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
Share this article