CARLSBAD, Calif., Jan. 13 /PRNewswire/ -- Coco's Restaurant & Bakery, part of the Catalina Restaurant Group, is turning National Pie Day into a weeklong celebration of America's favorite dessert. From January 23-29, customers at all 110 Coco's dining locations will have the opportunity to savor free slices of fresh-baked pie, enter the "Name Our Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie" contest for a chance to win free pies for a year, enjoy special pie prices and save with valuable coupons.
More than a restaurant, Coco's is an old-fashioned bakery where bakers rise at the crack of dawn to measure, whip, stir and bake using only the freshest ingredients. Every fresh-baked pie is made on-site, from Dutch apple and boysenberry to banana cream and lemon meringue. Which makes Coco's synonymous with fresh-baked goodness. In fact, if all pies made by Coco's in a single year were placed side-by-side, they would stretch from San Diego to Santa Barbara, Calif., or from New York City to Boston in East Coast terminology. During the holiday season alone, Coco's uses 172 tons of pumpkin in their pies--equaling approximately 172 mid-sized cars or 21 1/2 elephants.
"A slice of pie represents one of the greatest comforts in life, and Coco's is proud to be home to some of the best pies in the country," says Kazumasa Ogawa, president of Coco's. "Our weeklong celebration pays tribute to America's rich pie heritage by offering specials that make our homemade pies even more affordable for everyone."
As part of the weeklong National Pie Day celebration, special promotions are being offered at all Coco's locations beginning Saturday, January 23. Highlights include:
- Free Pie! Customers will receive a free slice of pie with any entree purchase on Tuesday, January 26th beginning at 4 pm.
- "Name Our Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie" Contest. A $1 slice of pie coupon will be awarded to everyone who enters. Plus, the grand winner will be presented with free pies for an entire year! Log onto www.cocosbakery.com, or visit Coco's Facebook page, to enter now through March 31.
- Special Prices. All whole pies will be $1 off during the weeklong celebration.
- Community Coupons. Coco's will be passing out pie coupons to local schools and libraries. Teachers and librarians can ask their local store manager about getting involved.
There's a reason so many of our favorite things are "as American as apple pie." Here are a few fast facts that show why pies are such an important part of our culture:
* Thirty-five percent of Americans say they've had pies for breakfast. Pies as lunch (66%) and midnight snacks (59%) also have a popular following.
* Six million American men aged 35-54 have eaten the last slice of pie. Then denied it.
* More than 1/3 of Americans have eaten pie in bed.
* One in five Americans have eaten an entire pie by themselves.
* Thirty-six million Americans say apple pie is their favorite.
About Coco's Restaurant & Bakery:
It all began in 1948, with one little restaurant along Pacific Coast Highway in Orange County, Calif. Today, there are more than 100 Coco's Restaurant & Bakery (www.cocosbakery.com) locations throughout California, Arizona, Nevada and Colorado. More than just a restaurant offering signature entrees, soups and salads created by Executive Chef Heather Gardea, Coco's is a bakery that prides itself on delivering the tastiest, most mouth-watering fresh-baked pies, cakes, muffins, cookies and biscuits.
About the American Pie Council:
The American Pie Council (APC) is the only organization committed to preserving America's pie heritage and promoting America's love affair with pies. Designed to raise awareness, enjoyment and consumption of pies, the APC works with amateur, professional and commercial members to grow and improve the pie industry. The APC designed and designated National Pie Day, which will take place on January 23, 2010, to help pass on the love and enjoyment of pie eating and pie making to future generations. Pie lovers are encouraged to share a pie for enjoyment by the whole family, or share the gift of a pie with friends and neighbors.
* Statistics from the American Pie Council
SOURCE Coco’s Restaurant & Bakery