SAN FRANCISCO, April 27, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --
- Pivotal HAWQ is now Hortonworks Data Platform certified.
- Pivotal HAWQ now provides deeper integration with the Apache Hadoop ecosystem and simplifies management with new support for Apache Ambari.
- Today's announcement continues on Pivotal's previously announced unified approach to meeting enterprise data management and analytics needs through a strategic and commercial alliance with Hortonworks.
- This marks the first time that the features and capabilities of Pivotal HAWQ have been made available outside of Pivotal. The availability aligns with a common Open Data Platform (ODP) Core that allows users to leverage the best-of-breed technology across providers.
Pivotal® and Hortonworks® (NASDAQ:HDP) today announced that Pivotal HAWQ, a key product in the Pivotal Big Data Suite, is now available on the Hortonworks Data Platform (HDP™),a widely used Hadoop platform. By running Pivotal HAWQ on HDP, all the benefits of the best-in-class SQL on Hadoop engine can now be leveraged by enterprises that are investing in HDP.
In addition, with new support for Apache Ambari, Pivotal HAWQ moves away from a proprietary management and configuration framework to an open source, Hadoop-native environment, minimizing the total cost of ownership in managing the Hadoop stack, including Pivotal HAWQ.
Pivotal is aligning with the work of the Open Data Platform (ODP) by enabling the latest release of Pivotal HAWQ, to work out-of-the-box with HDP, now based on the ODP Core.
Pivotal HAWQ Now Certified on Hortonworks Data Platform
Pivotal HAWQ is the world's most advanced SQL on Hadoop engine. Pivotal HAWQ's full SQL compliance for analytic workloads addresses the business needs of enterprises much more rapidly than with the traditional Hadoop stack and has now achieved HDP Certification ensuring for customers that the integration has been rigorously tested and validated by the engineering teams at Hortonworks and Pivotal.
HDP is an enterprise-grade data management platform that enables a centralized architecture for running batch, interactive and real-time analytics and data processing applications simultaneously across shared datasets. HDP is built on Apache Hadoop®, powered by YARN, and supported by shared services for consistent operations, comprehensive security, and trusted governance for a reliable enterprise-ready data lake.
Pivotal HAWQ on HDP can be deployed by purchasing Pivotal Big Data Suite flex licenses from Pivotal and HDP from Hortonworks. Pivotal HAWQ will continue to be supported on the Pivotal's Hadoop distribution, Pivotal HD, through the Big Data Suite license. For more information on Pivotal HAWQ and its support on HDP, please visit the HAWQ documentation page.
Executive, Analyst, Customer or Partner Quotes
Sundeep Madra, Vice President, Data Product Group, Pivotal
"Pivotal HAWQ brings a maturity to SQL on Hadoop processing that leverages a decade's worth of product development effort on Pivotal Greenplum® Database. What makes this announcement so exciting is bringing Pivotal HAWQ closer to a common Hadoop core. We look forward to customers who are invested in the Hortonworks Data Platform to get their hands on Pivotal HAWQ and take advantage of all the benefits of the world's most advanced, and fastest, SQL on Hadoop engine."
John Kreisa, Vice President, Strategic Marketing, Hortonworks
"Pivotal is an important partner in the Hadoop ecosystem, and we are excited to see Pivotal's commitment to supporting the Hortonworks Data Platform. The certification of Pivotal HAWQ on HDP gives our customers enterprise-grade maturity in SQL-based analytics that Pivotal HAWQ brings to the table."
Matt Aslett, Research Director Data Platform and Analytics, 451 Research
"By certifying its HAWQ SQL-on-Hadoop engine with the Hortonworks Data Platform, Pivotal is ensuring that a wider audience of Hadoop users are able to take advantage of its proven SQL processing capabilities, while also sowing the seeds for increased adoption of the Pivotal Big Data Suite. Taking advantage of Apache Ambari's Stacks definition means that HAWQ can also be managed alongside other elements of the Hortonworks Data Platform."
- Pivotal Blog: Pivotal Extends HAWQ, The SQL On Hadoop Engine, To Hortonworks HDP http://bit.ly/1d1m8oH
- Press Release: Hortonworks, IBM and Pivotal Harmonize on Open Data Platform Vision to Accelerate Big Data Solutions http://bit.ly/1P6SU5v
- Press Release: Pivotal and Hortonworks Join Forces on Apache Hadoop® http://bit.ly/1EGHr6i
- Hortonworks Data Platform: http://bit.ly/1DNkWz2
- Pivotal HAWQ: http://bit.ly/1DNppSo
- Pivotal Blog: New Benchmark Results: Pivotal Query Optimizer Speeds Up Big Data Queries Up To 1000x http://bit.ly/1Dp0eE9
- Pivotal Blog: Pivotal HAWQ Benchmark Demonstrates Up To 21x Faster Performance on Hadoop Queries Than SQL-like Solutions http://bit.ly/1CR4nhI
- Press Release:Pivotal Introduces World's First Open Source-based, Enterprise-Class Big Data Product Suite http://bit.ly/1ND04M7
- Pivotal Announces Pivotal Big Data Global Roadshow http://bit.ly/1MsHXe7
Hortonworks develops, distributes and supports the only 100% open source Apache Hadoop data platform. Our team comprises the largest contingent of builders and architects within the Hadoop ecosystem who represent and lead the broader enterprise requirements within these communities. The Hortonworks Data Platform provides an open platform that deeply integrates with existing IT investments and upon which enterprises can build and deploy Hadoop-based applications. Hortonworks has deep relationships with the key strategic data center partners that enable our customers to unlock the broadest opportunities from Hadoop.
Pivotal is a trusted partner for IT innovation, enabling enterprises to provide modern software-driven experiences for their customers and workforces. The combination of leading agile development services, an open cloud platform and open suite of big data products accelerate innovation cycles for our customers across every industry. More at www.pivotal.io
©2015 Pivotal Software, Inc. All rights reserved. Pivotal, Greenplum and HAWQ are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Pivotal Software, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. Apache, Apache Hadoop, Hadoop, and Apache Ambari are either registered trademarks or trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation in the United States and/or other countries. Hortonworks and HDP are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hortonworks Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.