SUNNYVALE, Calif., April 16, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Platform9 (https://platform9.com/), the leader in SaaS-managed hybrid cloud, today announced Klusterkit – a set of three open source Kubernetes tools that enable organizations to easily deploy and operate production-grade Kubernetes clusters in air-gapped, on-premises environments (http://klusterkit.platform9.com/).
Each of the three tools comprising Klusterkit fills a gap in the Kubernetes community toolchain, and can be used independently or in tandem:
- etcdadm – adopted by Kubernetes Cluster Lifecycle SIG, etcdadm is a kubeadm-like command-line interface (CLI) that simplifies the operation of secure, highly-available, etcd clusters. highly available (https://github.com/kubernetes-sigs/etcdadm).
- nodeadm – is a command-line interface node administration tool to complement kubeadm by deploying the dependencies that kubeadm requires, such as the kubelet binary. nodeadm makes it simple to deploy a Kubernetes control plane or nodes on any machine running Linux (https://github.com/platform9/nodeadm).
- cctl – a cluster lifecycle management tool that is based on the Kubernetes community's Cluster API spec, and uses nodeadm and etcdadm to easily manage highly-available Kubernetes clusters on bare metal, on-premises, air-gapped environments (https://github.com/platform9/cctl).
The combination of these three tools enables the deployment and operation of a highly-available etcd cluster and Kubernetes control plane in air-gapped, on-premise environments. Klusterkit also allows recovering a completely failed cluster control plane from an etcd snapshot. Additionally, it packages all the artifacts required to deploy Kubernetes in an air-gapped environment allowing teams to operate Kubernetes clusters where remote, cloud-managed clusters are not feasible.
"Klusterkit presents a powerful, yet easy-to-use Kubernetes toolset that complements community efforts like Cluster API and kubeadm to allow enterprises a path to modernize applications to use Kubernetes, and run them anywhere -- even in on-premise, air-gapped environments," said Arun Sriraman, Kubernetes Technical Lead Manager at Platform9. Some of our customers have been using Klusterkit at scale for the past year, to power dozens of mission-critical Kubernetes applications that operate in highly secured, isolated, air-gapped environments. It has allowed them to standardize their cloud-native efforts on open source, while simplifying support for Day-2 operations, at scale, across a complex matrix of deployment targets."
"Platform9 is committed to the open-source Kubernetes cluster lifecycle tools. Etcdadm began its life as part of Klusterkit and ended up a community project. We are proud to open source the rest of Klusterkit and will continue to enhance it for Kubernetes users everywhere," said Daniel Lipovetsky, Kubernetes Technical Lead at Platform9.
To learn more about Klusterkit:
- Visit http://klusterkit.platform9.com/
- Read the tutorial blog post to learn how to use the different tools: https://platform9.com/blog/introducing-klusterkit-an-open-source-toolkit-to-simplify-kubernetes-deployments-on-premise-air-gapped-environments/
- Join the CNCF-hosted webinar today, 4/16 for a deep-dive into etcdadm - one of the tools included in Klusterkit. Register at: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/3015537990985/WN_NygzWrojRe69zNSDS2cDww
In this webinar, Daniel Lipovetsky, Kubernetes Technical Lead at Platform9 will explain the etcdadm design in depth, and discuss how Platform9's experience running etcd clusters in production informed that design. Daniel will also demonstrate deploying a highly available etcd cluster using etcdadm, recovering the cluster from both partial and complete failures. In the process, he will cover important etcd runtime parameters and caveats of dynamic cluster reconfiguration.
To learn more about Platform9's hybrid cloud and managed Kubernetes offerings, visit https://platform9.com/
Share This: Platform9 announces new #opensource project Klusterkit to simplify deployment and operation of production-grade, highly-available, multi-master #Kubernetes clusters in on-prem, air-gapped environments https://platform9.com/press/platform9-open-sources-klusterkit-to-simplify-the-deployment-and-operations-of-production-grade-kubernetes-clusters-on-on-premises-air-gapped-environments/ #etcd #kubeadm
Platform9 (platform9.com) delivers a SaaS-managed hybrid cloud solution that turns existing infrastructure into a cloud, instantly. We help enterprises drive digital transformation by enabling them to manage VMs, Containers and Serverless Functions on ANY infrastructure — on-premises, in public clouds, or at the edge – with a self-service, simple and unified experience. Customers such as Cadence, Autodesk, Veritas, Nanometrics, EBSCO, Bitly, LogMeIn, and Aruba see upwards of 300 percent improvement in IT efficiency, 33 percent faster time to market, and 50-80 percent improvement in data center utilization and cost reduction. The company is headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, and is backed by Redpoint Ventures, Menlo Ventures, Canvas Ventures, and HPE.