ST. PAUL, Minn., Nov. 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Point of Care Anticoagulation (AC) software meets all key recommendations of a consensus statement recently published by the New York State Anticoagulation Coalition Electronic Health Record Task Force. The task force, a multidisciplinary panel of AC specialists that includes members from IPRO (a national, non-profit organization fostering enhanced healthcare quality), developed a list of 78 recommended EHR features spanning 20 key discrete areas and 425 logical steps to help optimize delivery of anticoagulation drugs and reduce adverse drug events associated with anticoagulant therapy.
Point of Care Anticoagulation (AC) software was designed and developed in collaboration with leading clinical thrombosis experts, and is a decision support tool that takes the complexity out of AC management by providing a real-time AC dashboard. With intuitive, predictive clinical decision support, Point of Care AC transforms evidence-based guidelines into intelligent tools that measure and improve AC therapy outcomes. Key features include: Warfarin initiation and maintenance auto-dosing using evidence-based dosing algorithms, full Target Specific Oral Anticoagulant (TSOAC) integration, Heparin bridging and switching support, along with multiple alerts and adverse event tracking.
"Meeting the key recommendations of the consensus statement confirms that our Point of Care AC software has been well designed and is positioned to be the leading AC therapy tool. Healthcare professionals find our software to be especially valuable in light of new TSOAC drugs coming onto the market, changing AC therapy protocols, and more stringent regulatory guidelines," said Tim Michalski, President of Point of Care Decision Support.
Some of the key task force recommendations that are currently available in Point of Care AC include:
- Guides personnel through a structured medication profile review, identifying and documenting AC medication profile changes and drug-related problems (e.g., drug-drug interactions) for all phases of AC care (e.g., Warfarin, heparins, TSOACs).
- Displays data elements characterizing active and recent dosing of all anticoagulant medications and provides recommendations for transitions between anticoagulant agents (e.g., Warfarin to TSOACs and vice versa)
- Queries patient records for key elements of risk/benefit evaluation, and automatically prioritizes high-risk patients.
- Calculates new warfarin dose and schedule based on INR results and previous regimen using validated Warfarin dosing nomograms.
- Performs calculations of available validated risk and benefit scores (e.g., CHADS2, HASBLED)
- Supports active surveillance for scheduling and completion of procedures that may require interruption of anticoagulation, and re-initiation post-procedure, including Warfarin discontinuation and re-initiation, as well as heparin bridging therapy and TSOAC switch therapy in peri-procedural situations
- Displays comprehensive (combined) panel of factors associated with risk for bleeding or thromboembolic event and automatically displays therapy recommendations based on risk score (e.g., hard stop if score excessive)
- Automatically queries patient visit record for recent data elements indicating or potentially indicating an adverse drug event
- Generates a comprehensive panel of patient, personnel, clinic and health system-level quality reports across all aspects of AC patient care
- Displays and disseminates educational materials/modules
A complete list of features and recommendations implemented in Point of Care AC software can be found at the Point of Care Decision Support website.
Point of Care Decision Support, LLC is a healthcare software company that transforms evidence-based guidelines into intelligent tools for the point of care. With its Dynamic Decision Support Platform as a core anchor, Point of Care Decision Support builds intuitive healthcare tools that measure and improve the quality of patient care, provide real-time data and analysis, and have a meaningful and measurable return on investment. This provides consistency across every application available. Interoperable with all major EMR/EHR systems, the Dynamic Decision Support platform easily integrates new technology with existing investments, reducing implementation and operating costs. Point of Care customers can more easily innovate and evolve with the changing needs of the business at a lower cost. Visit www.ptofcare.com to learn more about their anticoagulation (AC), asthma and cholesterol applications.
Media Contact: Jaime Ojeda
Point of Care Decision Support, LLC
SOURCE Point of Care Decision Support, LLC