NEWARK, N.J., March 17, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Public Service Electric and Gas continues to monitor developments regarding COVID-19 while providing safe and reliable electricity and gas to its 2.4 million customers. Our priority is the safety and well-being of our customers, employees and the communities we serve. In an effort to help minimize the exposure of COVID-19 for our employees, customers and the community, PSE&G is implementing a number of operational changes.
The following are ways in which we are adjusting our operations in response to the COVID-19 situation:
- Practicing the CDC's social distancing guidelines: During interactions with customers in their homes or businesses, PSE&G is practicing social distancing; depending on the situation, PSE&G may determine that additional personal protective equipment (PPE) protocol is warranted for the health and safety of our workers and the customers.
- PSE&G is temporarily closing its 16 customer service centers. The centers will be closed as of end of business on Tuesday, March 17. We would like to assure customers our employees are available to provide the same excellent level of customer service through alternate means. Customers can engage with us via phone, text, chat, web, our mobile app and Amazon Alexa. The customer service phone line is 800-436-7734 (links below).
- PSE&G also has temporarily suspended various types of non-critical repair work on metering equipment to limit the number of service visits to customers' homes. PSE&G will continue to respond to all emergency and essential work, such as gas leak calls, medical emergencies, no-heat and no-hot-water calls. All customer service work to be completed will be done safely through social distancing and proper use of personal protective equipment.
- PSE&G has suspended shut-offs of electric and/or gas service to residential customers for non-payment. This will give customers experiencing financial difficulties as a result of the outbreak additional time to pay their bills. For more information, visit pseg.com/help.
- PSE&G has directed all employees who can work remotely to do so, including the majority of our customer service representatives. This initiative will remain in effect for the next two weeks, at which time we will reassess and determine next steps.
The majority of these policies will be in place through the end of April. PSE&G will evaluate the continued need for these measures at that time. For additional information about PSE&G's response and operational changes associated with the COVID-19 outbreak, visit PSE&G's Coronavirus update webpage: nj.pseg.com/safetyandreliability/safetytips/coronavirus
For those looking for ways to stay connected, get the latest information and manage their account, PSE&G offers a number of online tools and resources:
- Log into My Account
- Chat or email
- Register for MyAlerts for text and email updates
- Download the free PSE&G mobile app
- Enable our PSE&G Alexa skill and link your account
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
Public Service Electric and Gas Co. (PSE&G) is New Jersey's oldest and largest gas and electric delivery public utility, serving three-quarters of the state's population. PSE&G is the winner of the ReliabilityOne Award for superior electric system reliability. PSE&G is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Inc. (PSEG) (NYSE:PEG), a diversified energy company. PSEG has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for North America for 12 consecutive years.
SOURCE Public Service Electric & Gas (PSE&G)