UNIONDALE, N.Y., Sept. 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- PSEG Long Island is closely monitoring Tropical Storm Hermine and the possibility it could impact our service territory this weekend and into early next week. The storm could bring the potential for heavy rain and strong winds as it sweeps up the east coast and possibly lingers into next week.
In anticipation of the storm, PSEG Long Island is ensuring that all available personnel are prepared to respond throughout the Labor Day weekend and into next week. The utility is also ensuring that additional supplies, including poles and transformers, are on hand.
"Depending on the track of the storm, Hermine may stall off Long Island's coast, bringing prolonged periods of wind and rain to our service territory," said John O'Connell, PSEG Long Island vice president of transmission and distribution operations. "In addition to having additional personnel and equipment at the ready, we are installing barriers at a number of substations to keep water out. We have already elevated several substations above flood level in preparation for this kind of severe weather."
PSEG Long Island urges its customers to be cautious if they see downed lines. Downed wires should always be considered "live." Do not approach or drive over a downed line and do not touch anything that it might be in contact with.
BE PREPARED AND STAY IN TOUCH
- Save PSEG Long Island's 24-hour Electric Service number: 1-800-490-0075
- Familiarize yourself with PSEG Long Island's mobile-friendly website, online Outage Center and Outage Map at www.psegliny.com/stormcenter - for the most up-to-date information customers might need when the storm hits
- Sign up now for MyAlerts, PSEG Long Island's text message service. Report a power outage by text and receive status updates by text and/or email. Since this requires an account number for a one-time registration, it's best to do it beforehand. To register, text REG to PSEGLI (773454) or visit the My Account section of the website www.psegliny.com/account
- Like PSEG Long Island on Facebook (www.facebook.com/psegli) and follow us on Twitter (@PSEGLI) for updates before, during and after the storm. Remember, though, outages cannot be reported through social media
- Charge all mobile phones, tablets and other handheld devices in advance of the storm
- Make sure everyone in the family is prepared and knows what to do if there is an emergency Visit www.psegliny.com/page.cfm/Sesame to learn about the PSEG and Sesame Street App "Let's Get Ready: Planning Together for Emergencies"
- Watch PSEG Long Island's YouTube videos at www.youtube.com/psegli for tips on how to prepare your family and how power is restored after a storm
PSEG Long Island operates the Long Island Power Authority's transmission and distribution system under a 12-year contract. PSEG Long Island is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Incorporated (NYSE: PEG), a publicly traded diversified energy company with annual revenues of approximately $10.4 billion.
Contact: Media Relations Hotline
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pseg-long-island-prepares-for-tropical-storm-hermine-300322100.html
SOURCE PSEG Long Island