AUSTIN, Texas, Feb. 24, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Public Consulting Group (PCG), a public sector management and technology consulting firm, will host a My Brother's Keeper Summit (SXSWMBK) on March 9th in Austin, TX as part of the South by Southwest Education Conference (SXSWedu). My Brother's Keeper is a White House initiative to help school districts and cities prepare children of color for long-term success. The SXSWMBK Summit will feature speakers that promote cradle-to-career youth best practices and proven results based on the six milestones of My Brother's Keeper.
Austin Independent School District (AISD) Superintendent Dr. Paul Cruz will deliver introductory remarks for the Summit's 3pm-6pm panel, open only to SXSWedu conference attendees. "As we continue our quest to ensure all students reach high academic standards, I'm excited to welcome a distinguished panel of experts to the My Brother's Keeper Summit," said Superintendent Cruz. "My Brother's Keeper focuses not only on education to prepare youth for success, but on students' physical, social and emotional health."
Session breakouts will focus on MBK's 6 Milestones that prepare youth for success by ensuring:
- All children enter school cognitively, physically, socially and emotionally ready
- All children read at grade level by 3rd grade
- All youth graduate from high school
- All youth complete post-secondary education or training
- All youth out of school are employed
- All youth remain safe from violent crime
"We're honored to have a diverse, cross sectoral group of speakers, panelists and leaders from across the country to share what's working in their respective areas of expertise," said PCG Vice President and SXSWedu Advisory Board member Tony Brown.
Panelists to date:
- Dr. Brenda Manuel - Director, Student Empowerment, Los Angeles Unified School District.
- Dr. Mark Bedell, Asst. Superintendent of High Schools, Baltimore County Public Schools.
- Diallo Shabazz - Executive Director, One Hundred Black Men, Inc. NYC.
- Denise Tillery Sr. - Director Intervention Services K-12, Wake County Public Schools, North Carolina.
- Dr. Adrianna Villavicencio - Senior Research Associate, Research Alliance for New York City Schools, Adjunct Professor, NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development.
- David Watkins – Director, Equity & Academic Attainment, Broward County Public Schools, Florida.
A My Brother's Keeper Equity for All Reception will follow the panel discussion (6:00pm - 10:00pm, Icenhauer's), with musical performances by Tameca Jones and Quiet Company.
To learn more, visit: http://publicconsultinggroup.com/pcgatsxsw
About Public Consulting Group
Public Consulting Group, Inc. (PCG) is a management consulting and technology services firm that partners with government health, education, and human services agencies to improve lives. PCG's specialized consulting and operations staff helps schools, districts, and state education agencies improve programs and processes, optimize financial resources, and promote student success. PCG began the nation's first MBK National Forum, an online event where districts and MBK leaders share best practices. http://www.publicconsultinggroup.com/
About My Brother's Keeper
President Obama launched My Brother's Keeper (MBK) to ensure that all young people can reach their full potential. Through this initiative, the Administration is joining with cities and towns, businesses, and foundations who are taking important steps to connect young people to mentoring, support networks, and the skills they need to find a good job or go to college and work their way into the middle class. https://www.whitehouse.gov/my-brothers-keeper
The SXSWedu Conference & Festival, March 7-10, 2016 in Austin, Texas, fosters innovation in learning by hosting a diverse and energetic community of stakeholders across a variety of backgrounds in education. The four-day event affords registrants open access to engaging sessions, interactive workshops, hands-on learning experiences, film screenings, early-stage startups and a host of networking opportunities. By providing a platform for collaboration, SXSWedu works to promote creativity and social change. http://sxswedu.com
Tim Stone, Public Consulting Group
SOURCE Public Consulting Group