QinetiQ North America Achieves Technology Breakthrough in Full-Duplex Acoustic Underwater Data Communications
Aug 22, 2017, 09:00 ET
WALTHAM, Mass., Aug. 22, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- QinetiQ North America (QNA) today announced that it has successfully demonstrated full-duplex underwater acoustic data communications, using its new, proprietary DOLPHIN technology. Developed in partnership with Optimal Systems Laboratory, Inc. (OSL), located in Cambridge, MA, the DOLPHIN Communication technology will enable groundbreaking capabilities for the undersea domain. QNA and OSL have developed a unique way of using patented cancelation technology that will enable simultaneous transmit and receive (STAR) acoustic communications. This technology will make it possible to create extensive undersea data and communication wireless networks, solving many challenges for Navy and commercial customers.
Dolphin benefits include:
- Enables self-forming acoustic underwater networks to operate similarly to wireless land networks with nodes in motion
- Multi-component control networks for fixed and mobile assets anywhere underwater
- Frequency independence, allowing DOLPHIN Comms to be configurable on most systems and platforms (unmanned underwater vehicles, submarines, ships, etc.)
- Full duplex communications greatly improves acoustic data transfer performance over other technology available today
- Dolphin Comms STAR enables extremely low power communications
Dolphin Technology was demonstrated during the Advanced Navy Technology Exercise (ANTX) held in Panama City, Florida, August 15-16, 2017.
About QinetiQ North America
QinetiQ North America (QNA) is a subsidiary of QinetiQ Group plc, the FTSE250 company listed on the London Stock Exchange (LSE: QQ.L). QNA delivers world-class technology and revolutionary products to the defense, security, and commercial markets. Customers rely on QNA products to increase situational awareness, aid in personal safety, enhance security and streamline operations. QNA products include unmanned systems, military protection and power sensors and control systems. QNA is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts and operates as the US arm of QinetiQ Group's Global Products division. For more information, visit www.qinetiq-na.com.
SOURCE QinetiQ North America
Share this article