WASHINGTON, Dec. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) today announced that its subsidiary, Qualcomm Life, Inc., is collaborating with leading enterprise health care ecosystem participants who are leveraging the 2net™ and HealthyCircles™ Care Coordination Platforms to enable wireless connectivity and develop reliable solutions to seamlessly capture, transfer and share valuable health data from hospital to home.
The Company also announced the winners of the Global 2net App Developer Challenge after the 10-month competition.
"We have a number of collaborators now leveraging our 2net and HealthyCircles Platforms in really exciting ways," said Rick Valencia, senior vice president and general manager of Qualcomm Life. "Leading organizations like the American Heart Association, WebMD and BioScrip, are working with us and our ecosystem members to develop innovative solutions that expand patient access to improved care and tools to better manage their own health."
The American Heart Association (AHA) is working with Qualcomm Life on its new Connected Heart Health initiative, which combines leading wireless technologies and evidence-based CarePlans to improve care coordination and outcomes for post-acute cardiovascular and stroke care. Enabled by Qualcomm Life's 2net and HealthyCircles Platforms, Connected Heart Health is one of the industry's first comprehensive data connectivity management and care coordination solutions that bridges the gap between patients and providers to better inform care decisions.
"Qualcomm Life's technology platforms provide the potential for us to help Accountable Care Organizations (ACO) rapidly build a clinically integrated network that delivers better care to more patients, at a reduced cost," said Nancy Brown, chief executive officer, American Heart Association. "By streamlining post-acute care management and coordination, we aim to improve population health and reduce costly readmission rates."
iMPak Health is collaborating with Qualcomm Life and leveraging the 2net Platform to offer Kraken, one of the first Bluetooth low-energy (BLE)-enabled mobile medication management systems designed to assist in organizing and tracking complex, multi-pill daily regimens. Kraken will allow patients, particularly those of an aging population, to better manage their chronic conditions and become more adherent to medication regimens by seamlessly tracking and uploading their data and securely sharing that information with their care team through a scalable, plug-and-play solution.
"Qualcomm Life's 2net technology solves the critical problem of connectivity and interoperability in wireless health by allowing us to get data from medical devices to the cloud securely and in a way that is both easy for the patient and low risk for the health care provider," said Sandra Elliott, executive director of iMPak Health. "We are pleased to work with Qualcomm Life to offer a low-cost and user-friendly solution to help patients go beyond just coping with chronic conditions and empower them to proactively manage their health."
WebMD, BioScrip and the MedStar Institute for Innovation are leveraging Qualcomm Life's technology to offer innovative solutions addressing three key impact zones in the shifting health care landscape:
- Preventive care: WebMD and Qualcomm Life are working together to make biometric data available, actionable and relevant to millions of consumers through WebMD's existing flagship mobile app so they can more proactively manage their health and fitness. The WebMD app will deliver personalized health content and offer consumers access to best-in-class sensors and devices for a range of medical conditions, directly within their mobile app. WebMD is previewing the forthcoming app functionality in the Qualcomm Life booth.
- Transitional care: BioScrip's myBioScrip.com connected health platform, powered by HealthyCircles, is streamlining processes among clinical teams to extend quality and affordable patient care beyond the hospital setting and reduce hospital readmissions.
- Complex care: The MedStar Institute for Innovation (MI2) is integrating the 2net Platform and Hub into its remote patient monitoring solution and CareTablet™ virtual visit solution, enabling patients to conveniently manage their chronic conditions and securely share meaningful data with members of their care team.
DELTA is one of the latest European companies to join the Qualcomm Life Ecosystem and is integrating the 2net Hub and Platform with its ePatch® technology, a discreet body-worn sensor that continuously records, stores and wirelessly transmits a patient's ECG, heart rate and activity and motion data.
Qualcomm Life Global App Developer Challenge
Today, Qualcomm Life also announced that NuWave Commerce, a premier web design and development firm, is the Global App Developer Challenge Winner. NuWave has leveraged Qualcomm Life's 2net Connect APIs to develop a companion application for activity and medical devices allowing people to live healthier, more active lifestyles. The second and third place winners were Grizzles Creates and Qualia.
The Global 2net App Developer Challenge kicked-off at Mobile World Congress 2013 and marked the availability of Qualcomm Life's 2net Connect APIs, previously only available in the United States, to larger audiences to create a consolidated stream of biometric data that can be leveraged across multiple data-enabled platforms, including Andriod, iOS , Microsoft and BlackBerry.
Cash prizes will be awarded to the first, second and third place entries and will be in the amounts of €15,000, €10,000 and €5,000 respectively.
Qualcomm Life's Presence at the mHealth Summit 2013
Qualcomm Life will be showcasing the 2net and HealthyCircles Platforms with demos from WebMD, BioScrip and MedStar and will be joined by more than 35 Qualcomm Life Ecosystem collaborators in the Qualcomm Life Wireless Health Pavilion (booth #803), and is participating in the following panels, demonstrations and speakerships:
mHealth Keynote Address
- Morning Keynote, Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, Chairman and CEO, Qualcomm Incorporated (Monday, December 9th, 8:15 a.m. – 8:35 a.m.)
Panels and Super Sessions
- mHealth Around the World: Key Market Update (Monday, December 9th, 11 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.)
- An Industry Perspective: Impacts of FDA Oversight (Monday, December 9th, 2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.)
- The Policy Pillars of mHealth: Examining Various Policy Perspectives (Monday, December 9th, 3:45 p.m. – 4:45 p.m.)
- Independent Living through Technology (Monday, December 9th, 5:00 – 6:00 p.m.)
- M2M Now Money Talks: mHealth 2020 Vision – Show Me The Money (Tuesday December 10th, 1:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.)
- Big Data Trends: Accessing Information @ the Right Place and Time (Tuesday, December 10th, 2:30 – 3:30 p.m.)
About Qualcomm Incorporated
Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) is the world leader in 3G, 4G and next-generation wireless technologies. Qualcomm Incorporated includes Qualcomm's licensing business, QTL, and the vast majority of its patent portfolio. Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated, operates, along with its subsidiaries, substantially all of Qualcomm's engineering, research and development functions, and substantially all of its products and services businesses, including its semiconductor business, QCT. For more than 25 years, Qualcomm ideas and inventions have driven the evolution of digital communications, linking people everywhere more closely to information, entertainment and each other. For more information, visit Qualcomm's website, OnQ blog, Twitter and Facebook pages.
Qualcomm and 2net are trademarks of QUALCOMM Incorporated, registered in the United States and other countries. HealthyCircles is a trademark of MyTeleHealth Solutions, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Qualcomm Life, Inc. Other product and brand names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners. All QUALCOMM Incorporated trademarks are used with permission.
The 2net services are offered through Qualcomm Life, Inc. Available in the United States and Canada. Wireless network coverage may vary. Medical device depicted may not be available at the time of this publication. Nothing in these materials is an offer to sell any of the components or devices referenced herein.
Emily Kilpatrick, Corporate Communications
Jamie Eisinger, Qualcomm Life
Warren Kneeshaw, Investor Relations
SOURCE Qualcomm Incorporated