WEST CHESTER, Pa., Oct. 30, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Qurate Retail Group, a world-leading video and digital retailer, producing 150 hours of live content a day on average and additional hours of recorded video, announced today that QVC and HSN will be rolling out several programs to build on the company's strengths in video, digital and social commerce.
These projects are the latest digital initiatives focused on reaching the next generation of shoppers and continuing to expand viewership of QVC's and HSN's video content on digital platforms.
"We are perfectly positioned to capitalize on the explosion of digital video content consumption," said Mike George, President and CEO, Qurate Retail, Inc. "Our business model was built on marrying video with commerce, so the transition to digital platforms is a natural one for us."
Qurate Retail Group ranks #3 in ecommerce in North America and #3 in mobile commerce in the U.S.(1). From this leadership position, QVC and HSN are continuing to innovate, focused in three areas:
- Integrating voice-activated technology into video shopping
- Launching socially driven and digitally native micro-brands to attract social-first consumers
- Leveraging storytelling in new formats to engage with consumers earlier in the buying journey
With more consumers using voice-activated technology in their daily lives, Qurate Retail Group has launched its first skill on the Alexa platform that allows consumers to interact with the company by voice. The first iteration of the skill, which launched earlier this month, enables users to watch or listen to HSN live and obtain information about HSN's broadcast and products. By early 2019, users will be able to order products from the live broadcast, search for and order other items from the full product assortment, and check on shipping updates, as well as other account details, all via voice. Voice-activated technology is a new way for Qurate Retail Group to build relationships with customers via real-time dialogue.
Socially Driven and Digitally Native Micro-Brands
In July 2018, Qurate Retail Group launched two beauty micro-brands – Ellie Sugar and Fuss Beauty – via dedicated Facebook, Instagram and web pages, powered by social media advertising alone. Ellie Sugar and Fuss Beauty feature a curated marketplace of prestige beauty products from national and indie beauty brands, carefully selected from the Qurate Retail Group portfolio to appeal to targeted beauty consumers, with thumb-stopping video. Initial response to Ellie Sugar and Fuss Beauty has been positive, and Qurate Retail Group is now planning to launch two fashion brands – Du Jour at QVC and Curations at HSN – with this social-first strategy as well.
Earlier this month, in the UK, QVC's TiLi (which stands for Try It Love It) evolved from a beauty box into an editorial-led, mobile-first site for beauty-obsessed consumers who are not QVC shoppers. Content is driven by what people are searching for, and the site is supported solely by social and digital advertising.
Storytelling in New Formats
An innovation team is targeting channels like YouTube, Instagram TV and iTunes with longer-form content and original stories, designed to build top-of-the-purchase-funnel engagement with new and current customers. The latest examples include:
- Podcasts: Qurate Retail Group recently launched its first podcast on iTunes, Google Play, and Spotify, and soon will launch a second.
- Shop Culture, a new podcast on the joy of shopping, hosted by QVC program host Courtney Cason. Shop Culture gives audiences a new way to connect with Qurate Retail Group brands on the go (in their cars, on the treadmill, etc.), in 25-45 minute segments. Each episode features in-depth conversations with interesting celebrities on their personal stories, through the lens of fashion and style. The first two episodes featured Lori Goldstein and Cameron Silver, and a third with Isaac Mizrahi is on the way.
- Basic Beauty, a podcast featuring Courtney Cason and QVC program host Elise Ivy chatting with guests about all things beauty. A "binge-able" block of six episodes will post in late October.
- Social Video Series: Qurate Retail Group will launch two digitally native shows, focused on storytelling, exclusively available on YouTube, IGTV, Facebook Watch and Roku.
- One on Wine, an exploration of wine, featuring QVC program host Mary DeAngelis and launching in early November.
- All Made Up, a tour of beauty cultures in different regions of the country, hosted by Courtney Cason. This show is expected to launch later in November.
To learn more about Qurate Retail Group's digital investments and ongoing strategic initiatives, Qurate Retail, Inc. will webcast its annual Investor Meeting on Wednesday, November 14, 2018 with presentations beginning at 12:45 p.m. EST. Visit: http://ir.qurateretail.com/events.cfm.
(1) Among multi-category retailers, according to Internet Retailer.
About Qurate Retail Group
Qurate Retail Group comprises seven leading retail brands – QVC, HSN, zulily, Ballard Designs, Frontgate, Garnet Hill and Grandin Road – all dedicated to providing a 'third way to shop,' beyond transactional ecommerce or traditional brick-and-mortar stores. Globally, Qurate Retail Group is #1 in video commerce, reaching approximately 370 million homes worldwide via 16 television networks and multiple ecommerce sites, social pages, mobile apps, print catalogs, and in-store destinations. Qurate Retail Group is #3 in ecommerce in North America and #3 in mobile commerce in the U.S. (according to Internet Retailer). Qurate Retail Group combines the best of retail, media and social to curate products, experiences, conversations and communities for millions of highly discerning shoppers – bringing joy, inspiration and humanity to shopping. Qurate Retail Group also curates large audiences, across multiple platforms, for thousands of brand vendors. Headquartered in West Chester, Pa., Qurate Retail Group has 27,000 team members in the US, the UK, Germany, Japan, Italy, France, Poland and China. For more information, visit www.qurateretailgroup.com.
Qurate Retail, Inc. (NASDAQ: QRTEA, QRTEB) includes the Qurate Retail Group portfolio of brands as well as other minority investments.
SOURCE Qurate Retail Group