FORT WORTH, Texas, April 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- RadioShack today announced the opening of its latest custom concept store, located in Boston near the site of the company's first retail location, which opened in 1921. This bolder, brighter custom concept store celebrates RadioShack's founding history in Boston, along with its deep-rooted commitment to collaborating with consumers to uncover what is possible through technology.
Located at 13 School Street in Boston's historic Downtown Crossing neighborhood, the newly remodeled store features a custom contemporary nautical design, paying homage to the city's maritime heritage with sailing rope accents, weathered wood and a ship's bow centerpiece. Interactive areas throughout the store encourage shoppers to discover personalized solutions, connect with sales associates and realize the unlimited potential of technology.
RadioShack's expert associates bring their "make it happen" attitude to each customer interaction, finding smart solutions to technology needs. This collaborative spirit is at the heart of the brand's "Do It Together" brand positioning and it is on display in the new Boston concept store.
"We are delighted to open our new custom concept store in Boston, the birthplace of RadioShack," said Joe Magnacca, chief executive officer of RadioShack. "Boston exemplifies the true spirit of innovation, and the city prides itself on being a hub for entrepreneurialism. This is the ideal backdrop to showcase RadioShack's fresh new look and renewed focus on technology discovery and collaboration."
The School Street store is the third custom-designed location to open in the nation and is one of 30 concept stores to open since RadioShack debuted the new concept store model in July 2013. These new locations reflect the company's strides toward reinvigorating its stores, revamping its product assortment and repositioning the brand. All RadioShack concept stores showcase an enhanced shopping experience, including:
- A speaker wall where customers can shop and compare more than a dozen different speakers using music installed on in-store tablets
- Interactive displays that encourage shoppers to compare products, including headphone demo stations where they can listen to leading brands like SOL REPUBLIC, Skullcandy and Beats by Dr. Dre; a remote control toy exploration center; and a GoPro camera display, demonstrating the capabilities of several camera models
- A "Do It Together" Idea Center where consumers can bring their ideas to life through collaboration with store associates at a convenient work space
- Helpful, informative RadioShack staff who can answer shoppers' questions about hundreds of products and services, and direct customers to the items that meet their specific needs
- Technology that makes shopping interesting and playful, including touchscreens and apps to help shoppers understand product benefits
- Newly configured displays highlighting in-demand brands like Apple, HTC and Samsung, as well as mobile carriers such as AT&T, Sprint and Verizon
Every detail within this custom concept store is tailored to celebrate RadioShack's origins in Boston. Design and technology features unique to this location include:
- A nautical aesthetic reflected throughout the store's interior, drawing on the city's maritime industrial history, including custom color palette, weathered wood with sailing rope accents, industrial lighting, a large navigation compass and ship's bow centerpiece installation
- Free mobile device charging stations so consumers can pop in to power up their phones or tablets
- A 3D printer on display for interactive demonstrations to showcase this powerful new technology for consumers
- Local content available throughout the store, so visitors and locals alike can use the store's tablets or mobile devices to find out more about fun things to see and do in Boston
To celebrate the opening of this new store, Mayor Martin J. Walsh, with Boston dignitaries and business leaders, will join RadioShack for a ribbon cutting ceremony on Thursday, April 10. At this event, the company will also announce its support of innovation accelerator, MassChallenge, offering 20 percent of the day's sales to the organization.
Neighbors to the new RadioShack are further invited to come see the custom-designed store and pick up an instant savings coupon good for $10 off any $40 qualifying purchase, while supplies last. Customers can also check-in on Foursquare to claim this deal for a limited time.
With the opening of this custom concept store, RadioShack has updated 20 percent of the 30 stores in the Boston area, with locations receiving a range of updates, from updated signage, to bright, redesigned interiors, to interactive product displays for new product comparison.
About RadioShack Corporation
RadioShack (NYSE: RSH) is a leading national retailer of innovative mobile technology products and services, as well as products related to personal and home technology and power supply needs. RadioShack® offers consumers a targeted assortment of wireless phones and other electronic products and services from leading national brands, exclusive private brands and major wireless carriers, all within a comfortable and convenient shopping environment. RadioShack employs approximately 30,000 knowledgeable and helpful sales experts globally. RadioShack's retail network includes approximately 4,300 company-operated stores in the United States, over 270 company-operated stores in Mexico, and approximately 1,000 dealer and other outlets worldwide. For more information on RadioShack Corporation, please visit www.radioshackcorporation.com; to purchase items online, please visit www.radioshack.com. RadioShack® is a registered trademark licensed by RadioShack Corporation.
News Media Contact: Media Relations, +1-817-415-3300, [email protected]