SAN MATEO, Calif., Dec. 22, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Rakuten Marketing, a leading technology company that enables brands to increase sales through data-driven marketing, today reported year-over-year (YOY) holiday sales growth of 16 percent and consumer transactions growth of 19 percent for the period of December 1 – 15, 2017. The company also reported sales results for Free Shipping Day, December 15, showing retail revenues grew by 16 percent and consumer transactions increased by 14 percent compared to Free Shipping Day last year.
"The uptick in retail holiday sales and transactions directly correlates to strong consumer confidence and a healthy economy, and this positive environment is driving strong eCommerce results for advertisers," commented Tony Zito, CEO of Rakuten Marketing. "As we approach the end of 2017 and the first weeks of the New Year – periods where last minute gift purchases and gift card redemptions take priority – marketers must keep consumers engaged in order to capture additional wallet share. Rakuten data shows 27 percent of first-time purchasers purchase a second time but 45 percent of two-time purchasers make repeat purchases. This figure jumps to 66 percent for shoppers who have purchased five times or more from any one merchant."
Additional Rakuten Marketing 2017 holiday shopping data includes the following:
- YOY mobile revenue for the first half of December increased 67 percent and mobile purchases rose 59 percent. Mobile average order value (AOV) also increased by 5 percent.
- On Free Shipping Day, mobile revenue and mobile transactions increased 52 and 44 percent respectively.
- Mobile sales increased on Green Monday, December 18, with revenues up 51 percent and mobile transactions up 44 percent.
- Consumers are spending more time on advertiser sites in 2017, with the number of pages viewed per site visit up 14 percent in the period of December 1-15, 2017.
- Free Shipping Day revenue peaked at 9am on December 15, 2017 and Green Monday revenue peaked at 11am on December 18, 2017.
- Consumers are exceptionally responsive to prospecting strategies and social advertising this holiday selling season. Prospecting strategies drove more than double the revenue in 2017 versus 2016 and social advertising drove four times more revenue over this same period. Prospecting was especially effective on Free Shipping Day with prospecting-driven revenue increasing three times more versus 2016.
Rakuten Marketing retail insights are based on aggregated and anonymous data analyzed from leading U.S. retailers running Rakuten Marketing Display campaigns. Additional information on Rakuten Marketing 2017 holiday retail sales data can be found here. For more information about Rakuten Marketing Integrated Marketing Solutions, visit https://rakutenmarketing.com.
About Rakuten Marketing
Rakuten Marketing industry leading solutions empower marketers to thrive in their evolved role and achieve the full potential of digital marketing, efficiently and effectively, with data-informed insights that create consistent, engaging and influential experiences across screens. Offering an integrated solution, along with unique insights and consultative partnerships, Rakuten Marketing delivers the tools that marketers need to increase efficiency, productivity and performance.
Rakuten Marketing is a division of Rakuten Inc. (4755: TOKYO), one of the world's leading Internet service companies. The company is headquartered in San Mateo, California, with offices in Australia, Brazil, Japan, the United Kingdom, and throughout the United States. Follow us on Twitter or learn more at https://rakutenmarketing.com.
Sr. Director, Communications
SOURCE Rakuten Marketing