SKOKIE, Ill., Aug. 23, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Coinciding with the increasing popularity of dashboard cameras, Rand McNally today launched a new dash cam and companion app that delivers high-quality video and still photos – making it super simple to save, organize and share the images. The new DashCam 500 offers a complementary companion app, which is available for iOS™ and Android™ smart phones.
The DashCam 500 is Rand McNally's third stand-alone dashboard camera, having launched the first set of highly successful devices two years ago. Leveraging the expertise of its connected vehicle technology, which features a variety of third-party and proprietary applications, Rand McNally developers engineered a high-end dash cam that seamlessly transmits video and photos via Wi-Fi* to a proprietary DashCam 500 app. This syncing of content makes it much easier to keep and share videos and photos.
"We've seen strong demand for dash cameras the past few years," said Stephen Fletcher, CEO of Rand McNally. "This new device includes a host of proprietary features such as VideoKeeper™ and MapShots™, which give existing dash cam users something new and better to use, as well as provides those who haven't used such a product with a user-friendly model to begin."
What sets the DashCam 500 apart are exceptional features, including:
- A Flashback button, which not only starts saving video but provides up to several minutes of preceding video; with this feature, drivers won't have to worry that they've missed something;
- "G" sensor accident protection that automatically senses and then saves video footage when there's an impact to the vehicle; the footage is saved with a time and date stamp – even when parked;
- A Smart phone app for both iOS and Android phones; with the app, users can view live videos from the camera, manage a gallery of still photos and video, change the camera settings, and – with the tap of a button – download and share captures to email, social media platforms, and texts;
- The Gallery on both the camera and app displays all of the videos and photos that have been recorded and saved. On these screens, users may view thumbnails of videos and photos, play back the videos, and delete them;
- Active VideoKeeper™, which ensures that saved videos are never overwritten and are easily saved to the Gallery and/or downloaded to the app;
- MapShots™, which uses the built-in GPS to show where a video was captured on a map when viewed on the app;
- Four dynamic touch-sensitive buttons along the bottom of the screen that allow you to navigate and control the functionality on the dash cam.
The DashCam 500 mounts to the windshield with a clip-in suction cup mount and records in 1080p on a continuous loop using an included, replaceable 16 GB SD card.
Learn more at https://randmcnally.com/DashCam500
NOTE: The DashCam 500 will be demonstrated at booth #1001 at the Great American Trucking Show in Dallas, August 23-25, 2018.
*User is responsible for all third party data charges associated with Wi-Fi.
About Rand McNally – Rand McNally is transforming personal and business travel with its revolutionary connected vehicle technology and consumer electronics. Celebrating 162 years in 2018, Rand McNally's mission is to deliver innovative products and services that enrich life's journey in four key segments: Consumer Electronics, Consumer Travel, Commercial Transportation, and Education. Learn more at randmcnally.com
©2018 RM Acquisition, LLC d/b/a Rand McNally. All rights reserved.
Rand McNally and the Rand McNally globe logo are registered trademarks and VideoKeeper, and MapShots are trademarks of RM Acquisition, LLC, d/b/a Rand McNally.
IOS is a trademark of Cisco in the U.S. used under license by Apple.
Android is a trademark of Google, LLC.
Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance.
SOURCE Rand McNally