CAPE TOWN, South Africa, Nov. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- (CTICC, AfricaCom, Booth A2) – Range Networks, the leading U.S. provider of commercial open source cellular systems and creator of the OpenBTS software project, today announced the full release of the specifications for the Range SDR1 transceiver to the OpenBTS community.
- Range Networks provides a full public release of the SDR1 transceiver schematics, layout files and bill of materials required to build an advanced software-defined radio for individuals and companies interested in supplying the OpenBTS market. The designs will be available on the OpenBTS website under an open source license.
- The Range SDR1 is the only open source transceiver designed specifically for cellular base stations running OpenBTS; it is not a general-purpose software-defined radio. The transceiver supports all GSM bands, provides advanced filtering and allows for a streamlined base station with a reduced bill of materials.
- The SDR1 is being commercially used in Range Networks base stations on all seven continents and in extreme environments. The radio design is currently in use in networks operated by Range Networks customers in remote locations from Antarctica to countries like Mexico, Zambia, and Indonesia. It is also being used in network simulation and development environments by telecommunications laboratories.
- This release makes the recently announced OpenBTS Development Kit one hundred percent open source. Now university and telecommunications labs can combine off-the-shelf commodity components with free OpenBTS software and build their own test cellular network, or they can purchase a fully tested, ready-to-use kit from Range Networks.
- Range Networks equipment certification is available to manufacturers, verifying compatibility with OpenBTS and OpenBTS-UMTS software. Interested parties should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Harvind Samra, CTO of Range Networks said:
"Through the release of our SDR designs, Range Networks looks to assist the open source community in the evolution of standardized, non-proprietary hardware for radio access networks. Now makers and manufacturers have complete schematics for an advanced radio that is designed specifically for base stations, reducing the work, risk and time-to-market involved in producing transceivers for the OpenBTS cellular market."
Social Media Resources:
- Twitter Handle: @RangeNetworks
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/range-networks
About Range Networks
Range Networks is the future of cellular networks. Founded by the inventors of OpenBTS, the company provides the only commercial open source cellular system. Range Networks' products are simple to deploy and manage at a fraction of the cost of alternative solutions. Based on open standards, Range Networks provides connectivity to existing 2G/3G and 4G networks to rural communities, remote outposts and emergency crews. Additional information is available at: www.rangenetworks.com
Nadel Phelan, Inc.
SOURCE Range Networks