RENO, Nev., March 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Breaking new ground in bowling and in professional sports history, the bowling industry revealed today a "first look" at the historic outdoor lane design for the 2012 Bowling's U.S. Women's Open competition. During a press conference held today at the Eldorado Hotel Casino Showroom, the City of Reno and the leading entities in the bowling industry unveiled the Open's groundbreaking, outdoor lanes design as part of a formal announcement of the arrival of the Open in Reno. Bowling's U.S. Women's Open – the preeminent global competition in women's bowling – will be played in Reno, with the historic finals to take place on Virginia Street under the iconic Reno arch and broadcast nationally on ESPN2.
"There is no better brand in professional sports than the U.S. Open, and every year we challenge ourselves to set the bar just a little bit higher. In 2011, we hosted the largest-attended bowling event in history at Cowboys Stadium and this year we are once again breaking new ground. We are literally taking the competition to the streets and making history by hosting the Open's outdoor finals under the iconic Reno Arch," said Steve Johnson, executive director of the Bowling Proprietors' Association of America (BPAA). "This year's event will mark a number of industry firsts including the first-ever women's outdoor global bowling competition and the introduction of a brand new senior women's championship."
Added Johnson, "And we're setting the stakes particularly high by once again offering a one million dollar prize to any competitor who rolls a perfect 300 in the championship match, which will be broadcast nationally on ESPN2."
Today's press conference at the Eldorado Hotel Casino Showroom was attended by a host of bowling industry luminaries and senior representatives from the sport's leading entities. Details of the "must see" sporting event were highlighted including:
- More than 300 of the world's best female bowlers from over 16 countries will be represented at the 2012 Bowling's U.S. Women's Open competition
- Reveal of Official "first look" renderings of the U.S. Open lanes, positioned under Reno's iconic Virginia Street arch
- The groundbreaking competition will be the world's first outdoors finals for a women's bowling event
- The finals will be broadcast on ESPN2 on July 3rd at 8:00 PM ET.
- A one million dollar payout will be offered for a perfect 300 game in the championship match of the Open
- A first-ever Senior U.S. Open champion will be crowned in a separate event that will be running in conjunction with the primary U.S. Open
- Joining the Brands of Ebonite International as sponsors of the 2012 Bowling's U.S. Women's Open for the second year in a row include: Jani King, the official cleaning company of bowling; and Lipton Naturals, the official tea of the 2012 Bowling's U.S. Women's Open. Additional sponsors include: Brunswick Bowling & Billiards, the official lane provider of Bowling's U.S. Women's Open; Eldorado Resorts, Silver Legacy and Circus Circus Resort Casinos; Reno-Sparks Convention and Visitors Authority (RSCVA); Kegel; Dexter; Bowling Music Network; and Turbo Grips.
In addition to BPAA's Johnson, speakers and notable attendees at the press conference included: BPAA President John Snyder, Leanne Hulsenberg, the defending Bowling's U.S. Women's Open Champion; and Stephanie Nation, former world champion bowler and one of the top contenders for this year's Open. Additional presenters included representatives from several of the Open's sponsors: Bob Reid, Vice President Sales & Marketing for Ebonite International; Dwight Dortch, RSCVA Chairman of the Board and City of Reno City Councilman; and Glenn Carano, Director of Marketing at the Silver Legacy Resort Casino.
The 2012 Bowling's U.S. Women's Open and Senior Open will take place simultaneously, beginning June 21st at the National Bowling Stadium, and will culminate with the top five bowlers earning a spot in the finals on June 27th. For a second consecutive year, the Open finals will be broadcast on ESPN2 on July 3rd at 8:00 PM ET.
For additional information and registration details, please visit: www.bowlingsuswomensopen.com.
About Bowling Proprietors' Association of America
The Bowling Proprietors' Association of America (BPAA), founded in 1932, serves as the voice of the bowling industry. Headquartered in Arlington, TX at the International Bowling Campus, the BPAA provides it's more than 4,000 member centers with group purchasing programs, business and educational seminars, legislative representation and proactively promotes the association and bowling industry. The BPAA's mission is to enhance the profitability of its member centers and raise the profile of bowling, America's top-ranked participatory sport. For additional information please visit www.bpaa.com or call 1-800-343-1329
SOURCE Bowling Proprietors' Association of America (BPAA)