OMAHA, Neb., June 1, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Union Pacific Railroad highlights progress toward the company's safety, social, environmental and economic sustainability goals in its 2015 Building America Report.
"The Building America Report captures our commitment to operate a safe, efficient and environmentally responsible rail network and uses the Global Reporting Initiative's G4 Guidelines to outline our most relevant sustainability issues and opportunities," said Scott Moore, Union Pacific senior vice president - Corporate Relations. "It also illustrates our dedication to be a good neighbor that strengthens the communities where our employees live and work."
The Building America Report notes Union Pacific's key sustainability accomplishments in 2015, including:
- Becoming the safest Class I railroad in the United States, based on improvements in its employee injury rate. Engaging employees to ensure everyone goes home safely contributed to this best-ever safety performance.
- Promoting rail safety in communities, resulting in a 3 percent crossing accident rate improvement to 2.28 accidents per million train miles.
- Operating 100 locomotives that meet the Environmental Protection Agency's stringent Tier 4 emissions standards. Tier 4 locomotives reduce particulate emissions by as much as 91 percent and nitrogen oxide emissions by as much as 90 percent, compared to locomotives built prior to EPA standards.
- Helping customers eliminate an estimated 32.9 million metric tons of greenhouse gasses by choosing rail over truck transportation.
- Introducing programs to support employee wellness by providing access to more than 5,000 gyms and resources to find child and elder care.
This marks the seventh year Union Pacific reports its sustainability business practices and goals. More information about Union Pacific and access to the entire 2015 Building America Report are available at www.up.com.
ABOUT UNION PACIFIC
Union Pacific Railroad is the principal operating company of Union Pacific Corporation (NYSE: UNP). One of America's most recognized companies, Union Pacific Railroad connects 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country by rail, providing a critical link in the global supply chain. From 2006-2015, Union Pacific invested approximately $33 billion in its network and operations to support America's transportation infrastructure. The railroad's diversified business mix includes Agricultural Products, Automotive, Chemicals, Coal, Industrial Products and Intermodal. Union Pacific serves many of the fastest-growing U.S. population centers, operates from all major West Coast and Gulf Coast ports to eastern gateways, connects with Canada's rail systems and is the only railroad serving all six major Mexico gateways. Union Pacific provides value to its roughly 10,000 customers by delivering products in a safe, reliable, fuel-efficient and environmentally responsible manner.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/safer-operations-community-impacts-and-emissions-reduction-efforts-detailed-in-union-pacifics-2015-building-america-report-300277958.html
SOURCE Union Pacific Railroad