KIRKLAND, Wash., May 15, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- INRIX®, a leading provider of traffic information and driver services, released its annual Memorial Day weekend traffic forecast estimating a significant increase in San Francisco traffic this Memorial Day weekend compared to last year, particularly on Friday, May 23. The upswing in congestion is consistent with data from the INRIX Traffic Scorecard Annual Report released in March showing traffic congestion in the Bay area increased by 13 percent last year with drivers wasting on average 56 hours in gridlock.
As the economy improves and people choose to do more than a 'staycation,' this translates to more vehicles on the road over the holiday weekend. However, San Franciscans can avoid bumper-to-bumper traffic with INRIX's help. Based on sophisticated analysis of current traffic trends, economic trends and historical traffic patterns from previous holidays, INRIX recommends the following to drivers looking to avoid the worst delays heading out of town:
- Depart between 10-11 a.m. on Friday. INRIX's analysis predicts the ideal window to get out of town will be right after morning rush hour. This could be drivers' golden opportunity to escape the worst of the holiday traffic before the late afternoon rush ensues, which will start earlier than usual on Friday.
- Alternatively, leave by 12 p.m. or after 7 p.m. to avoid the worst delays. Rush hour on Friday afternoon is expected to be its worst between 3-5 p.m. when the average trip will take nearly 40 percent longer than normal. If drivers cannot leave right after the morning rush hour, ideally between 10-11 a.m., they should depart before 12 p.m. to avoid the worst traffic. Otherwise, traffic heading out of San Francisco should be relatively clear by 7 p.m.
- Download the INRIX XD® Traffic mobile app. INRIX's app provides real-time traffic information covering arterials; city streets and other secondary roads that will help drivers avoid congestion with minimal delay.
Route Insights for Nearby Holiday Destinations
Additionally, INRIX examined traffic flow to popular destinations within driving distance from San Francisco. INRIX recommends leaving before 12 p.m. if traveling to these areas on Friday, May 23.
Lake Tahoe, CA
- Peak Travel Time: 4-5 p.m.
- Anticipated Drive Time: 5 hours, 5 minutes via I-80. Drivers are expected to experience at least 1 hour and 45 minutes of delay due to traffic at this time.
- Peak Travel Time: 4-5 p.m.
- Anticipated Drive Time: 1 hour, 55 minutes via US-101. Drivers are expected to experience at least 1 hour and 5 minutes of delay at this time.
INRIX is one of the fastest growing big data technology companies in the world. The company leverages big data analytics to reduce the individual, economic and environmental toll of traffic congestion. Through cutting-edge data intelligence and predictive traffic technologies, INRIX helps leading automakers, fleets, governments and news organizations make it easier for drivers to navigate their world. Our vision is simple – to solve traffic, empower drivers, inform planning and enhance commerce.
Whether through an in-car or smartphone navigation application, a local newscast or our INRIX Traffic app, our up-to-the-minute traffic information and other driver services reach more than 150 million drivers to help them save time, fuel and frustration. INRIX delivers traffic and driving-related insight, as well as sophisticated analytical tools and services across six industries covering more than 4 million miles of road in 37 countries. For more information visit us at www.INRIX.com.