Distance learning leader provides education essential to career success
NORCROSS, Ga., Feb. 2, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- James Madison High School announced that it has been named the preferred provider of accredited high school curricula to the Sandy Bay Alternative School in Roatan Island, Honduras.
Roatan Island is a poverty-stricken area of Honduras, the third poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Like many on the island, families typically rely on tourism which has been hit hard by the current economy. With 48.4% of its people living on $2 a day, about 40% of Hondurans are unemployed or underemployed.
The goal of private programs like Sandy Bay, is to help form a better-educated, emerging workforce that can more effectively compete in the global marketplace.
Data from the Program for the Development of the Organization of the United Nations (PNUD) reveals that only 51% of Hondurans complete primary school and the number of dropouts increase each year. The report indicates that the basic educational system only covers 86.5% of school-age children, while the remaining 13.5% cannot get access to an education.
Advancement through education
Sandy Bay Alternative School was founded to help advance area children through education. From kindergarten to high school, the older students have the opportunity to complete core classes online in order to fulfill high school graduation requirements.
Funded in part by private sponsors, about 20% receive some form of financial assistance. This assistance makes it possible for those who might not ever have the financial means to attend school to receive a high-quality education.
James Madison High School, a leader in distance education, was chosen to provide the high school curricula because it, along with its parent Ashworth College, offers a wide range of affordable accredited career-focused diploma and degree programs tailored to meet the specific needs of non-traditional students. With tuition as much as 50% less than comparable programs and no added cost for course materials, the much needed donations go significantly further.
"Our high school diploma programs have been developed to specifically address the needs of non-traditional high school students, making James Madison High School a natural fit," said Dr. Leslie Gargiulo, Vice President of Education for James Madison High School. "Not only are our programs affordable, because they are available online, students have the flexibility of studying anywhere in the world."
"We're excited to be working with Sandy Bay Alternative School," Dr. Gargiulo added. "By helping these students earn a high school diploma, together we will be giving them significant career advantages, compared to not having a diploma or a GED."
Ashworth offers an extensive high school curriculum which includes general diploma and college preparatory studies, vocational high school programs and a broad range of single high school completion courses.
About Ashworth College and James Madison High School
As a leader in online education, Ashworth College has built a tradition of excellence spanning 25 years, offering students worldwide more than 115 online college degrees, online career certificates, online career training and high school online diplomas that are affordable and fit the busy schedules of working adults. Ashworth also offers military education online as well as specialized programs for corporate partners and homeschoolers.
Headquartered in Norcross, GA, Ashworth is accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC). The Accrediting Commission of the DETC is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency. James Madison High School is further accredited regionally by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI). SACS CASI is an accreditation division of AdvancED.
For more information about Ashworth College and James Madison High School, please visit http://ashworthcollege.edu.
About Sandy Bay Alternative School
Sandy Bay Alternative School is based in Roatan Island, Honduras. Currently, there are approximately 70 students enrolled at SBAS that are between 5 and 16 years of age who reflect the island's rich mix of local and international cultures gathered around the island's heritage, fishing, diving, tourism and commerce.
Sandy Bay's mission is to develop a permanent spirit of inquiry in children through creative thinking and problem-solving skills. The maximum student/teacher ratio is 10 to 1, so teachers and students develop close relationships, with students individually nurtured to reach their potential.
Available Topic Expert(s): For information on the listed expert(s), click appropriate link.
Dr. Leslie Gargiulo, Ph.D.
SOURCE Ashworth College