ORLANDO, Fla., Sept. 29, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, a leading theme park and entertainment company, today announced a new responsible food sourcing policy that will mean humanely raised and sustainably harvested food at all 12 parks, including SeaWorld, Busch Gardens and Sesame Place.
"We are committed to responsibly sourcing food for our guests and ambassador team members within our parks," said SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment President and CEO, Joel Manby. "This announcement builds on SeaWorld's existing sustainable practice, and this new commitment fulfills goals established with the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) in March of this year."
"As a company committed to conservation and the welfare of animals, we believe our food procurement can and should reflect a focus on the welfare of animals, a healthier planet and healthier people," said Chief Procurement Officer Norbert Dean.
There are three new commitments SeaWorld announced:
- By the end of 2016, SeaWorld will purchase all pork cuts, such as ribs and loins, from suppliers who have announced a commitment to humane farming practices like those who have published targets for conversion to group housing for sows;
- All eggs will be sourced from cage-free chickens by the end of 2017 – including shell and liquid eggs
- The company is expanding park menus to include more plant-based options.
The responsible sourcing policy confirms and enhances existing commitments already in place, including:
- A continuing commitment to serving seafood sourced from either sustainably managed fisheries or aquaculture in all park restaurants and catering events, as well as ambassador team dining;
- Sustainable sourcing of fish fed to the fish-eating (piscivorous) animals. This includes purchasing food from responsibly managed fisheries that the company closely reviews for nutritional quality and safety. SeaWorld avoids purchasing fish that have been caught or farmed in ways that harm other marine life or the environment.
- A commitment to source produce from local farms when and where possible;
- A commitment to sustainably source all coffee served to our guests and ambassadors.
To learn more about the company's food sourcing policy, go to SeaworldEntertainment.com.
About SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment
SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment™ is a leading theme park and entertainment company providing experiences that matter and inspiring guests to protect animals and the wild wonders of our world. The company is one of the world's foremost zoological organizations and a global leader in animal welfare, training, husbandry and veterinary care. The company collectively cares for what it believes is one of the largest zoological collections in the world and has helped lead advances in the care of animals. The company also rescues and rehabilitates marine and terrestrial animals that are ill, injured, orphaned or abandoned, with the goal of returning them to the wild. The SeaWorld® rescue team has helped more than 28,000 animals in need over the last 50 years.
The company owns or licenses a portfolio of recognized brands including SeaWorld, Busch Gardens® and Sea Rescue®. Over its more than 50-year history, the company has built a diversified portfolio of 12 destination and regional theme parks that are grouped in key markets across the United States, many of which showcase its one-of-a-kind zoological collection of over 800 species of animals. The company's theme parks feature a diverse array of rides, shows and other attractions with broad demographic appeal which deliver memorable experiences and a strong value proposition for its guests.
SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment is a wholly owned subsidiary of SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc., a publicly traded company. Visit www.seaworldentertainment.com for more.
SOURCE SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment