HARRISBURG, Pa., Dec. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Secretary of Education Ron Tomalis today announced that $479,513 has been awarded to 37 public schools through the Safe Schools Targeted Grant to establish and implement programs to prevent and reduce incidents of violence.
"Ensuring the safety of Pennsylvania's students is of the utmost importance," Tomalis said. "Students, parents and teachers expect schools to be a safe environment in which to learn. These funds will provide the necessary resources for schools to put programs into place that will enhance safety in our schools."
The focus of the grant program is to assist schools by:
- Reducing unnecessary student disciplinary actions and promoting an environment of greater productivity, safety and learning;
- Providing professional development to staff using research-based violence prevention and classroom management programs; and
- Enhancing antiviolence efforts between schools and parents, local governments, law enforcement and community organizations.
The Department of Education received a total of 97 applications, which were reviewed by a committee of four individuals.
Schools were eligible to receive up to $15,000, with the following programs considered for funding:
- Conflict resolution or dispute management.
- School-wide positive behavior support.
- School-based diversion programs.
- Classroom management.
- Research-based violence prevention programs that address risk factors to reduce incidents of problem behaviors among students.
- Training for Student Assistance Program team members.
- Staff training in the use of positive behavior supports, de-escalation techniques and appropriate responses to student behavior that may require immediate intervention.
"I applaud the administrators of these schools for seeking ways to reduce and eliminate violence in our education facilities," Tomalis said.
Editor's Note: Below is the list of schools that have been awarded a grant, the county and the amount of the one-year grant.
Abington School District, Montgomery County, $15,000
Aliquippa School District, Beaver County, $15,000
Coatesville Area School District, Chester County, $10,374
Crispus Attucks Youthbuild Charter School, York County, $14,520
Dover Area School District, York County, $14,550
Downingtown Area School District, Chester County, $13,460
Ellwood City Area School District, Lawrence County, $11,250
Everett Area School District, Bedford County, $15,000
Fort Cherry School District, Washington County, $14,658
Intermediate Unit #1, Washington County, $12,000
Keystone Central School District, Clinton County, $14,280
Keystone Oaks School District, Allegheny County, 13,500
Lakeview School District, Mercer County, $14,450
Lancaster County Career and Technology Center, Lancaster County, $15,000
Laurel School District, Lawrence County, $14,000
McKeesport Area School District, Allegheny County, $15,000
Moon Area School District, Allegheny County, $9,764
Norristown Area School District, Montgomery County, $14,265
Northampton Area School District, Northampton County, $15,000
Northeastern Educational Intermediate Unit #19, Lackawanna County, $15,000
Northgate School District, Allegheny County, $14,370
Northwest Area School District, Luzerne County, $10,600
Ridley School District, Delaware County, $11,209
Rockwood Area School District, Somerset County, $14,976
Schuylkill Intermediate Unit #29, Schuylkill County, $2,000
Schuylkill Haven Area School District, Schuylkill County, $6,405
Selinsgrove Area School District, Snyder County, $14,950
Smethport Area School District, McKean County, $11,000
South Eastern School District, York County, $9,483
Steelton-Highspire School District, Dauphin County, $15,000
Urban Pathways Charter School, Allegheny County, $14,850
Warren County School District, Warren County, $7,000
Warrior Run Area School District, Northumberland County, $14,734
Warwick School District, Lancaster County, $13,965
West Middlesex Area School District, Mercer County, $15,000
West Shore School District, York County, $12,900
Woodland Hills School District, Allegheny County, $15,000
Media Contact: Tim Eller, 717-783-9802
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Education