BARCELONA, Spain, Feb. 17, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Hundreds of top journalists, analysts and bloggers from around the world previewed new mobile and wireless products for work, home and play introduced by a record 44 upstarts, industry leaders and innovators at ShowStoppers, the press-only showcase event in Barcelona, Spain.
The fourth-annual edition of ShowStoppers @ Mobile World Congress 2011 took place February 13, the night before the international mobile tradefair started. The invitation-only media event was the largest at the tradefair, organized to give journalists an early start on new product announcements, sneak previews, and news.
The news-packed press event included:
- Hands-on demos by Snapkeys of how to type without a keyboard on a smartphone or tablet.
- Sneak previews by Opera of not-yet-released browsers for the iPad, iPhone and Android.
- The Mobile Baby service from Great Connection Inc. and Mobily, which sends ultrasound pictures, 3Ds and video clips from the ultrasound machine to any mobile device used by expecting parents and physicians.
- Demos by Alcatel-Lucent of lightRadio, a small cube that has the capability to deliver universal network access.
- Previews by Swype of faster and more intuitive ways to input text on touch screens.
- Three companies nominated by members of the Telecom Council of Silicon Valley for SPIFFY awards – Cloudmark, Cooliris and Violin Memory.
"This was the first time we have exhibited at the Mobile World Congress and I am very glad we did the ShowStoppers event prior to the show," said Scott N. Schober, president and chief executive officer of Berkeley Varitronics Systems Inc. "We have already had two editors cover our Wolfhound Pro cell phone detector in their news stories this morning. There were also several reporters that came by to learn more about BVS in 'second looks' at our booth at MWC. Advice for anyone considering ShowStoppers: I highly recommend it and have been impressed by the quick results. Give it a try."
Companies introducing new wireless products and mobile services included Alcatel-Lucent, ANT+, Anti Sleep Pilot, AppMobi, Axis Teknologies, Berkeley Varitronics, Bitstream, Cloudmark, Conduit, DeviceAnywhere, Exclaim Mobility, Great Connection, Heywire, InMobi, Lancom, LiveShare by Cooliris, Livewire Mobile, Match2blue, Metro AG, Mobile Communications Cluster, Mobily, NAVTEQ, Netviewer, Newbay Software, Novatel Wireless, NRW International, Opera Software, Otterbox, Plantronics, Qualcomm, Secusmart, Snapkeys, Sonos, Star Finanz, Supertooth, Swype, Tap 'n Tap, UMIC-RWTH Aachen Univ., Vidyo and Violin Memory
Press kits for the exhibitors are posted online, powered by ShowStoppers partner Virtual Press Office, here, http://www.virtualpressoffice.com/showJointPage.do?page=jp&np=T&showId=1025
ShowStoppers @ MWC 2011 continues a year-long series of press events that began in January at CES 2011 and includes:
- ShowStoppers @ CTIA Wireless, 21 Mar. 2011, Orlando, Florida.
- The IFA Global Press Conference, 14-17 Apr. 2011, Alicante, Spain.
- ShowStoppers @ IFA, 1 Sept. 2011, Berlin, Germany.
- ShowStoppers for the Digital Holidays, September 2011, New York City.
- ShowStoppers for the Mobile Holidays, October 2011, San Diego.
Now in its 18th year, ShowStoppers is the global leader in producing press and business events. Each event organizes product introductions, sneak previews and demonstrations for hundreds of selected journalists, bloggers, industry and financial analysts, venture capitalists and business executives. Industry leaders, innovators and startups exhibit to help generate news coverage and product reviews, make new connections, promote brand, and open new markets.