CAMPBELL, Calif., April 11, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The Society for Information Display (SID), the leading global organization dedicated to the advancement of electronic-display technology, today announced the recipients of its prestigious 2011 honors and awards for exceptional contributions to the display industry. Every year, SID recognizes individuals that have introduced novel approaches to display technology and/or have played a critical role in improving and advancing the display industry at large. The winners will be officially honored at an awards banquet, which will be held during SID's annual International Symposium, Seminar and Exhibition (Display Week 2011), held Sunday, May 15 through Friday, May 20, 2011 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
"Inventions and innovations are vital for the growth of display technology and display business. Hence, every year, SID honors the most brilliant individuals who make this happen. This year's award recipients are the most meritorious individuals, all of whom have created a big impact on the advancement of display technology," noted SID President, Dr. Munisamy Anandan. "Their tireless and novel accomplishments are invaluable to the continued growth of the display industry. SID is immensely proud to acknowledge their esteemed contributions to the display world through their outstanding achievements."
2011 SID Honors and Awards Recipients
- The Jan Rajchman Prize awards exceptional scientific or technical achievement in, or contribution to, research on flat-panel displays. This year, the prestigious Jan Rajchman Prize is awarded to Dr. Hideo Hosono, a professor at the Tokyo Institute of Technology, for his invention and development of high-performance transparent thin-film amorphous oxide semiconductors with large electron mobility for use in active-matrix displays.
- In recognition of exemplary contributions to display education and the training of students and professionals, this year's Slottow-Owaki Prize is presented to Dr. Shin-Tson Wu, SID fellow and professor in the College of Optics and Photonics at the University of Central Florida, for his exceptional educational training of graduate students and professionals in the field of flat-panel displays. His methods include a strong team approach and a challenging curriculum. His students have won more than twenty major honors in the last seven years and he received the distinguished title of Pegasus Professor at the University of Florida for his service in 2010.
- The Karl Ferdinand Braun Prize honors outstanding technical achievement in, or contribution to, display technology. The 2011 recognition is awarded to Dr. Rudolf Eidenschink, SID fellow and founder and president of Nematel for his invention and development of low-birefringence, fast responding and highly stable liquid-crystal families and his advancement in the field of thin-film-transistor liquid-crystal displays.
- The Otto Schade Prize awards outstanding scientific or technical achievement in, or contribution to, the advancement of functional performance and/or image quality of information displays. This year's recipient is Scott Daly, a senior member of the Engineering and Color Science group within Dolby Laboratories. Daly is heralded for his outstanding contributions to the enhancement of image quality and display performance.
The SID Fellow distinction honors individuals who have made a widely recognized and significant contribution in advancing display innovation. This year's SID fellowship comprises pioneers from all over the globe. Recipients of the 2011 Fellow Awards are:
- Dr. Julie Brown, Universal Display Corporation
- Dr. In-Jae Chung, LG Display
- Yoichi Sato, Panasonic Plasma Display Co., Ltd.
- Dr. Sung Tae Shin, Samsung Electronics
- Dr. Xiao Wei Sun, Nanyang Technological University
SID is also honoring individuals with Special Recognition Awards for their distinguished contributions, including exemplary technical accomplishments, contributions to research and development, and service to the Society. This year's Special Recognition Awards recognize the following individuals:
- Dr. Hyun Chul Choi, LG Display
- Dr. Tieer Gu, Tianma Micro-Electronics Co., Ltd.
- Dr. Takahiro Ishinabe, Tohoku University
- Dr. Kyeong Hyeon Kim, Samsung Electronics
- Dr. Oh-Kyong Kwon, Hanyang University
- Dr. Jun Someya, Mitsubishi Electric Corp.
- Dr. Ravilisetty Padmanabha Rao, Xicato
The awards banquet will take place on Monday, May 16, 2011 at 8:00 p.m. For more information on attending the awards ceremony, please visit www.sid2011.org. Tickets are still available, but going fast as they are available for advanced purchase only.
About Display Week
The 49th SID International Symposium, Seminar and Exhibition, or Display Week 2011, will take place May 15-20, 2011, at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles. Display Week is the premier international gathering of scientists, engineers, manufacturers and users in the field of electronic-information displays. For more information on Display Week 2011, visit http://www.sid2011.org/ or become a fan on Facebook or follow us on Twitter at @DisplayWeek. Share Display Week-related tweets using the hash tag #SID2011.
The Society for Information Display (SID) is the only professional organization focused on the display industry. In fact, by exclusively focusing on the advancement of electronic-display technology, SID provides a unique platform for industry collaboration, communication and training in all related technologies while showcasing the industry's best new products. With more than 6,000 members worldwide, the organization's members are professionals in the technical and business disciplines that relate to display research, design, manufacturing, applications, marketing and sales. To promote industry and academic technology development, while also educating consumers on the importance of displays, SID hosts more than 10 conferences a year, including Display Week, which is the premier international gathering of scientists, engineers, manufacturers and users in the field of electronic information displays. For more information, visit http://www.sid.org/.
SOURCE Society for Information Display (SID)