NEW YORK, June 16, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Siempre Mujer magazine, the largest Spanish-language lifestyle magazine for Latinas in the U.S., today unveiled new research and key findings from its Siempre Beauty III: Latinas and Social Media, which examines the role social media plays in beauty purchasing decisions among Latinas. The study surveyed over 800 women including Latinas, non-Hispanic women, Milliennials and Siempre Mujer readers.
Siempre Beauty III: Latinas and Social Media is the third beauty study released by Meredith Hispanic Media (MHM), as part of the "Siempre Beauty" research series. The 2015 survey explores what social media platforms Latinas turn to in order to receive information on beauty products, brands and trends, how social media influences her beauty choices and what role social media plays in the purchase cycle. It provides valuable consumer insights and identifies key points of differential between Latina and General Market women including millennial market trends from both segments.
"Latinas are beauty junkies at heart," says Maria Cristina Marrero, Group Content Chief of Meredith Hispanic Media. "They are savvy consumers who incorporate more products into their daily beauty regimen and it is a trendsetting demographic that is open to experimentation when it comes to new products and innovative brands."
According to research, Latinas continue to outspend their general market counterpart across the beauty category at a rapid pace. In 2014, Latina cosmetic purchases were up by 7.4% while General Market retail purchases fell by 1.2% across the beauty category. The total beauty market is currently estimated at $4.3 billion and Latinas account for 13% in all cosmetic spending to date. Millennials dominate the beauty category as the largest growth factor in today's competitive market.
"Latina Millennials and the growing impact of social media represents a whole new driving force in today's marketplace," says Veronica Viviana Wilson, Associate Publisher of Meredith Hispanic Media Group. "At the forefront of technology, most Latina consumers are digitally savvy shoppers who find beauty deals everywhere."
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE 2015 "SIEMPRE BEAUTY III: LATINAS AND SOCIAL MEDIA"* SURVEY:
Social media is the go-to source for Latinas for beauty information, trends, and ideas.
- Latinas follow brands and bloggers, more than celebrities to learn about cosmetics, fragrance, skincare and haircare.
- Over 70% of Latinas and General Market women receive most of their beauty information through social media engagement.
- The younger demographic ranks even higher with 84% of Latina Millennials and 83% General Market Millennials who consider social media the tool of choice to learn about today's latest beauty trends.
- 85% of Siempre Mujer readers consider social media the top educational tool for beauty products and brands.
- Amongst Latinas, YouTube ranks #1 choice across social media platforms to acquire new beauty product information and usage tips reflecting the key role that video content plays in reaching this audience.
Spanish AND English matters.
- 52% of Latinas and 48% of Latina Millennials prefer to receive beauty information from social media in Spanish as well as English.
- More than half at 55% of Latinas prefer to follow US based influencers and bloggers who provide access to bilingual content.
In-store beauty purchasing decisions are driven by social media engagement.
- 70% Latinas and Latina Millennials vs. 27% General Market and General Market Millennials "like" sponsored beauty posts.
- Over 70% of Latinas and Latina Millennials research online first then go in-store to buy.
- 44% Latinas share or recommend brands/products with friends in their social network.
The survey was conducted by Hispanic Research Inc. and was commissioned by Siempre Mujer Magazine and Meredith Corporation. It was a nationwide online survey of U.S. women age 18-49, with 419 Hispanic women and 410 general market women, fielded between January and February 2015.
*Please credit all data to "Siempre Beauty III: Latinas and Social Media" the 2015 Siempre Mujer Hispanic Beauty Study.
About Siempre Mujer
Launched in 2005 by Meredith Corporation (NYSE: MDP, www.meredith.com), Siempre Mujer is the only magazine written for, by and about the modern U.S. Hispanic woman who is actualizing her goal of success. With fresh, authentic and inspiring content, Siempre Mujer has become one of the leading Spanish language women's magazines and the Latina's source for the things she cares about most; beauty, style, fitness, fashion, arts, culture, and career, helping her be the best woman she can be, a leader, a doer, and a role model. Siempre Mujer reaches 1.8 million readers every issue, and is published on a bi-monthly basis. SiempreMujer.com provides the latest in beauty and fashion trends, and original editorial content about relationships, current events, celebrity news and entertainment.
Meredith Hispanic Media: Engagement, Access, Perspective
Meredith Hispanic Media (MHM) is the premier content delivery and insight resource for and about Hispanic women. With millions of digital, social, experiential, and media touch points and powerful proprietary and syndicated research capabilities, MHM offers unmatched perspective about the U.S Latina, intimately connecting marketers to this highly coveted demographic. Through continued investment in an expanding portfolio of empowering brands and extensions including Siempre Mujer, Ser Padres, Ser Padres Espera and Ser Padres Bebe, and leading-edge engagement tools including custom publishing, content licensing, research, digital marketing, database marketing, events, grassroots marketing, and video, MHM is the first and only stop for brands seeking to reach action-oriented consumers who embrace media and share passionately.
SOURCE Siempre Mujer