BOSTON, June 13, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Simmons College Board of Trustees announced today that they have extended President Helen Drinan's contract for three years, extending her service through June, 2019. She was appointed president of the College in 2008.
"The Board of Trustees believes that Helen Drinan is the right person to lead the College through the next three years," said Board Chair Regina Pisa. "Having a President whose track record of achievement against stated goals is well established and whose commitment and strategic vision for the College is compelling is a distinct advantage in these times of unprecedented change."
Among the key reasons the Board of Trustees cited in their decision to extend President Drinan's contract are:
- Assembling a strong team of academic leaders and administrators that has stewarded the College to a position of strength – academically, operationally, and financially.
- Achieving operating surpluses in six of the last seven years, and for positive enrollment projections.
- Completing the largest capital campaign in Simmons history, $100 million.
- Spearheading efforts to reduce student debt and increase financial aid, helping to ensure an increasingly diverse and academically accomplished student body.
- Undertaking an unprecedented redesign of the undergraduate curriculum.
- The acquisition of the Daly Field property in Brighton, a public-private partnership Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker and Boston Mayor Marty Walsh have saluted as an exemplar of community investment and pride.
- Completing the comprehensive strategic planning process, culminating in Strategy 2015 and establishing the roadmap for the upcoming Strategy 2020 plan.
"I am grateful to the Board for entrusting the stewardship of this remarkable institution to me for another three years," said Drinan. "We have much to be proud of over the last eight years, and with momentum on our side I am confident in our future and in our ability to take our rightful place as a national leader in higher education."
Founded in 1899, Simmons is the only undergraduate women's college in Boston, and maintains a history of visionary thinking and a focus on social responsibility. The college also offers world-class coeducational graduate programs in nursing and health sciences, life sciences and technology, liberal arts, library and information science, business management, and social work. Follow Simmons on Twitter at @SimmonsCollege and @SimmonsNews.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/simmons-college-board-of-trustees-extends-president-helen-drinans-contract-for-three-years-300283718.html
SOURCE Simmons College