NEW YORK, March 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Unplug and Reconnect is introducing a new app for the Android that uses technology to schedule a break from technology. It "silences" your phone for a predetermined period and lets your friends know that you are temporarily unplugging from the virtual or technical world and reconnecting with real life. Once unplugging time is over, the app restores your phone to its prior settings.
"The new Unplug and Reconnect app, like no other app available on the Android market, makes it easy to schedule a 'phone vacation' or an unplugging and reconnecting event anytime you want," said Dr. Joseph Geliebter, founder and CEO of Unplug and Reconnect, an organization dedicated to educating people about the importance of unplugging from technology and reconnecting with the people and events that are meaningful to them.
With the new app – which is available free of charge and free of any advertising –Android users can:
- Schedule unplugging time in advance. At the scheduled time, your smartphone will switch to silent, vibrate, call reject or airplane mode, depending on your selection.
- Generate an automatic text message when the phone is in "call reject" mode – such as "I'm taking 'me' time" – so anyone calling your phone will know you're taking a break from technology.
- Automatically post status updates to Facebook and Twitter, should you choose to tell your friends how you're spending your unplugging time and the duration of the break.
- Stop worrying about forgetting to reset your phone to ring mode after unplugging time is over – the new app automatically does it for you.
- Get instant reminders of upcoming breaks from technology that you have scheduled.
Feedback from test users indicates that several innovative features make the new app especially useful. Testers particularly liked the app feature that restores phone alert settings once an unplugging session has ended.
About Unplug and Reconnect
Unplug and Reconnect™, a Mind Over Body® Inc. enterprise, was created in response to our current state of digital overload. Utilizing the latest research, concepts and techniques, Unplugging and Reconnecting is leading the movement for people to take a step back and balance between our technology-laden, multitasking selves and reconnect with our inner-selves and others. Mind Over Body® was founded in 1985 as a participating company of Comprehensive Network to highlight the link between one's mind set or attitude and his/her physical well being and to provide resources, consultation to in-person programs and seminars, and general support to individuals in their quest for physical, emotional and social well being. Visit us online at www.unplugreconnect.com.
SOURCE Unplug and Reconnect(TM)