SAN MATEO, Calif., Nov. 29, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Snowflake Computing, a data warehouse built for the cloud, today announced the public preview of Snowpipe - a continuous, straightforward and cost-effective service to load data into Snowflake. Snowpipe is an automated service built using Amazon SQS and other Amazon Web Services (AWS) solutions that asynchronously listen for new data as it arrives to Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) and regularly loads that data into Snowflake.
New data-generating applications emerge nearly every day, creating continuous streams of data in many structured and semi-structured formats. Organizations need to analyze this data as quickly as possible to support rapid decision-making. Unfortunately, traditional data warehouses batch load data at off-peak times to avoid contention with other workloads.
Snowpipe overcomes the barriers of legacy solutions by providing the following benefits to enable data-driven organizations:
- Real-time insights – Snowpipe promptly provides fresh data to all your business users without workload contention.
- Cost-effective - Pay only for the per-second compute utilized to load data instead of running a warehouse continuously or by the hour.
- Ease-of-use - Simply point Snowpipe at an Amazon S3 bucket and data will automatically load asynchronously as it arrives.
- Flexibility - Technical resources can interface directly with the programmatic REST API, using Java and Python SDKs to enable highly customized loading use cases.
- Zero management - Snowpipe automatically provisions the correct capacity for the data being loaded. No servers or management to worry about.
Snowflake provides seamless automated data loading with Snowpipe. Leveraging Amazon S3, Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) and other AWS services, Snowflake also separates storage, compute and services into three separate layers. This helps customers overcome the following traditional data warehousing challenges:
- Legacy architecture - Tightly coupled storage and compute create contention with queries as data is loaded.
- Stale data - Batch loading prevents organizations from acquiring instant, data-driven insights.
- Limited data support - Lack of support for semi-structured data requires users to transform data and define a schema before loading.
- High-maintenance - Traditional data warehouse tools require additional overhead in the form of constant indexing, tuning, sorting and vacuuming.
Spireon, a vehicle intelligence company and a Snowflake customer, has nearly four million vehicles on its platform that gathers billions of events about its customers' vehicle activity. "We have a constant stream of data we need to analyze in real time, and Snowpipe enables us to do just that," Spireon's Director of Information Architecture, Dave Withers, said. "Spireon is a data-driven company, and Snowpipe is a part of our platform that provides valuable insights to help our customers be more efficient, better protected and more profitable."
Snowflake's VP of Alliances, Walter Aldana, said: "Snowpipe capitalizes on Amazon S3, Amazon EC2 and Amazon SQS to continuously load an organization's data into Snowflake. Many of our customers, and the industries in which they compete, demand fresh and accurate data be delivered in seconds or minutes, not hours or days. Snowpipe helps make that possible. With Snowpipe, Snowflake continues to remove the barriers that prevent organizations from acquiring relevant insight from all their data for all their business users."
Ken Chestnut, AWS Global Segment Lead, said: "Companies are taking advantage of the cloud to manage their modern data workloads and make better, faster decisions. Snowpipe built on AWS makes it easier for customers to process, analyze and consume data in real time."
Snowpipe is available immediately for public preview on request and will be available in open public preview starting December 8. To find out more about Snowpipe, click here. To read a Snowpipe blog, which details the technical attributes of Snowpipe, click here.
- Snowflake Computing: snowflake.net
- Snowflake Twitter: twitter.com/SnowflakeDB
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/snowflake-computing
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/snowflakecomputing
- Google+: http://goo.gl/WQbQp2
- Snowflake is hiring: http://www.snowflake.net/about/careers/
About Snowflake Computing
Snowflake is the only data warehouse built for the cloud. Snowflake delivers the performance, concurrency and simplicity needed to store and analyze all data available to an organization in one location. Snowflake's technology combines the power of data warehousing, the flexibility of big data platforms, the elasticity of the cloud, and live data sharing at a fraction of the cost of traditional solutions. Snowflake: Your data, no limits. Find out more at snowflake.net.
SOURCE Snowflake Computing