LOS ANGELES, March 4, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following media alert is being released by Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics:
WHAT: Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics (SMBT) 12th Annual World Congress Black Tie Gala
WHEN: Saturday, March 7, 2015. Cocktails: 6-8 PM; Dinner/Awards: 8 PM-Midnight
WHERE: Los Angeles Millennium Biltmore Hotel
506 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles, CA 90071-2607
- Video presentation of "The Beacon of Courage and Dedication Award" to Professor Stephen Hawking, taped on Monday, March 2 in Cambridge, England. Video of award presentation: https://vimeo.com/121265585
- Honoree Tim Kring, writer producer (Heroes, Homeland and USA Network's upcoming miniseries event DIG) to receive "Golden Axon Award," presented to individuals outside of the medical community who inspire with good will and an enthusiastic interest in science, technology and medicine.
- Dr. Babak Kateb: SBMT founder/neuroscientist Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Shouleh Nikzad, PhD: President, SBMT: Sr. Research Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, CalTech; Visiting Scientist (Neurology), Cedar-Sinai Medical Center
- Actors Cathyrn de Prume (Wild), Melina Kanakaredes (CSI: NY), Gary Graham (Alien Nation) and Robert Picardo (Star Trek: Voyager)
- DJ Matthew Goldman; the Epic Jazz group; magicians Christen Gerhart, Crow Garrett
- Entertainment industry supporters Jon Vein, Mathew Rhodes, Steve Asbel, Michael Rosenburg and Shawn Pillar
WHY: Neurological disorders - ALS, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's - have become a worldwide health crisis which public funding simply cannot handle. SBMT's goal, in the face of insufficient international funding, is to bring together scientists from across the globe to work collectively on the promising future of brain mapping, while increasing awareness for the desperate need for more private and public funding. The Gala's purpose is to raise awareness for the need to support brain neuroscience around the world - and to honor the scientists who are actually doing the neuroscience. They are the heroes.
Sponsors: Dr. Harry Kloor, (Star Trek: Voyager; Earth: Final Conflict), Jupiter 9 Productions; 3D Systems' Gentle Giant Studios; Fireman Brew
BACKGROUND: "The cost of treating Alzheimer's diseases in the U.S. alone is over $200 billion a year and in 10 years that number will be over $1 trillion a year. No world economy can sustain that. This is a crisis." - SBMT founder Dr. Babak Keteb
Past SBMT awardees include Oscar® winner Dustin Hoffman; former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mike Mullen; Congresswoman Gabrielle Gifford and former ABC news anchor Bob Woodruff.
SBMT's 12th Annual World Congress Black Tie Gala is held in association with the Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics Annual World Congress being held March 6-8th 2015 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
SOURCE Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics