ROANOKE, Va., Sept. 7, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With one hurricane in the rearview mirror and other drenching rains potentially on the way, homeowners face potential drainage problems in their homes. With more than 20 years of experience in dealing with plumbing and drainage issues in southern Virginia, Southern Trust Home Services can help put these issues to rest.
"You can have serious problems and not realize it until they become major," says Ted Puzio, owner of Southern Trust Home Services, southern Virginia's leading home services provider. "Weather like we're having puts an immense strain on plumbing and drainage systems. Small problems can become big ones very quickly, and can even compromise the very foundation of a structure. Our technicians use video drain inspections to take away the guesswork and see exactly what needs to be fixed. It could be a simple drain cleaning, or the problem could be extensive."
Tropical storms and hurricanes are just one potential emergency. While the Roanoke area doesn't see many of these, residents still need to be ready for these and other emergencies.
Knowing how you're going to react, having a plan, and implementing that plan are all key steps to mitigating the impact these emergencies can have on your home and your family.
Here are some ways you can help get your household and your workplace ready for emergencies:
- Sign up for local alerts and warnings, download apps, and/or check access for wireless emergency alerts.
- Create and test emergency communications plans for local hazards.
- Assemble or update emergency supplies, including a hand-crank radio, water, food for three days, batteries and flashlights.
- Collect and safeguard critical documents.
- Document property and obtain appropriate insurance for relevant hazards.
- Flooding can happen with little or no warning, so preparation needs to be constant. Make your home as watertight as possible before the rains come. Find out if your home or business is in a flood zone. Then check your insurance policy to see if you have or need flood insurance. If you have a basement, consider a sump pump.
- When a significant storm is looming, keep an eye on a weather website so you don't get surprised. Prepare in advance if it looks like you might have to evacuate. Shutter windows, secure outdoor objects, seal any cracks in outdoor surfaces and remove dead or dangerous trees.
If you have questions about your home's plumbing, electrical or HVAC contact the Southern Trust experts at 540-685-0106 to schedule an appointment. Our team can also perform an electrical Home Safety Inspection of your Roanoke home for your peace of mind.
About Southern Trust Home Services
Founded in 1995 as Southern State Electric, Southern Trust Home Services provides 24/7 emergency services for 60 plus cities in southern Virginia. Specializing in residential plumbing, electrical and HVAC work, Southern Trust Home Services staffs dedicated, certified, licensed and insured, drug and criminal background checked technicians who provide timely, same-day services for a variety of home repairs, installations and maintenance. A Better Business Bureau accredited company since 2006, Southern Trust Home Services has financing available including 0 percent for 18 months, and Lifetime Repair Guarantee on stated repairs. To find out more, call 540-343-4348 or visit www.southerntrusthomeservices.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/southern-trust-home-services-offers-tips-for-national-preparedness-month-300323318.html
SOURCE Southern Trust Home Services