SAGINAW, Mich., Sept. 14, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- SpeedConnect, a premium wireless broadband provider offering services designed to support high usage demands, announced today it will launch a 4G network, providing up to 10Mbps x 2Mbps connections, throughout Michigan. The new network, deployed by Huawei using the company's SingleRAN solution, will offer comprehensive and secure fixed and mobile broadband solutions for homes and businesses in the Thumb of Michigan.
"We've been working very hard with Huawei to offer our existing customers and Thumb residents a better broadband connection," said Bruce Moore, Vice President and General Manager of SpeedConnect. "SpeedConnect will not be satisfied to keep apace of emerging technologies and bandwidth demand; we're aggressively spending and developing the best-for-streaming, highest-capacity networks possible."
"It's an extremely market-competitive broadband offering compared to the other wireless competitors available in the Thumb," said Moore. "It's a significant upgrade in download and upload speeds compared to anything else offered today in the Thumb, and the prepaid option is going to be very convenient for many of our existing and future customers."
Under the agreement, Huawei will provide its SingleRAN solution which includes LTE and WiMAX core technology. Huawei will be wholly responsible for maintaining the new network, including installation, integration and commissioning new equipment. The 4G network launch is part of SpeedConnect's extended investment in expansion, technology and coverage/capacity upgrades throughout Michigan. The new network will provide nearly 100 percent coverage in the three counties of Huron, Tuscola, and Sanillac.
John Ogren, SpeedConnect President and CEO, adds: "SpeedConnect is privately financing the 4G network buildout. I think it's important to note that it's private money; there are no federal loans or subsidies here. This is our personal investment."
"Rural wireless broadband has been an important market for Huawei," said Charles Ding, President of Huawei North America. "We've been focused on providing SpeedConnect with cost-effective and competitive solutions so they can provide customers a premium broadband connection that's designed to support high usage demands."
About the 4G Network:
- The 4G network will support ultra-broadband Internet access, IP telephony, gaming services, and streaming multimedia.
- SpeedConnect will offer many options to connect to the 4G network including indoor modems, outdoor modems, USB devices and personal MiFi routers.
- MiFi is a personal wireless router that acts as a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot. The MiFi can be connected to SpeedConnect's 4G network and provide Internet access for up to 5 devices. The MiFi works at a distance up to 10m or 30 ft., and will provide Internet or network access to any WiFi-enabled peripheral device.
- SpeedConnect's 4G service will provide up to 10Mbps x 2Mbps connections.
- SpeedConnect will deploy 4G technology on 24 tower locations throughout the Thumb. Communities that will be served include: Frankenmuth, Pigeon, Unionville, Sebewaing, Akron, Fairgrove, Caro, Cass City, Bad Axe, Ubly, Harbor Beach, Kinde, Kingston, Clio, Mayville, Millington, Marlette, Sandusky, Deckerville, Minden City, Argyle, Snover, Carsonville, Dayton, North Branch, and Peck.
- SpeedConnect anticipates offering a unique prepaid service option on the new 4G network. Customers will be able to "pay as you go," and have the ability to recharge their broadband account without monthly recurring fees.
Well-established in Michigan, with an Iowa expansion over the last 18 months, SpeedConnect has provided wireless broadband and telephone service since 2001.
SpeedConnect, a leading provider of wireless broadband services, owns and uses FCC-licensed 2.5 GHz EBS and BRS spectrum and technology. SpeedConnect, LLC is a Michigan Limited Liability Corporation and is principally owned by Robert G. Liggett and John A. Ogren. For more information, please visit: http://www.speedconnect.com/
Huawei is a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider. Through our dedication to customer-centric innovation and strong partnerships, we have established end-to-end advantages in telecom networks, devices and cloud computing. We are committed to creating maximum value for telecom operators, enterprises and consumers by providing competitive solutions and services. Our products and solutions have been deployed in over 140 countries, serving more than one third of the world's population. For more information, visit Huawei online: www.huawei.com. Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/huaweipress and YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/HuaweiPress.